Partitions a.k.a. volumes in a computer are the logical sections in one physical hard disk drive. Administrators create multiple partitions (volumes) in a hard disk drive to protect data from accidental loss, and also to isolate is the system drive (the main partition on which Windows is installed, i.e. C from other drives that may contain sensitive information.
Although the installation process of Windows 8 allows administrators to create partitions, it is recommended that only one partition of the desired size be created while installing the operating system. After the successful installation of the OS, administrators can create partitions on the remaining unallocated disk space by initiating Computer Management snap-in, and going to Disk Management category.
Windows 8 allows administrators to create maximum of four primary, three primary and one extended, two primary and one extended, or one primary and one extended partitions. Once the hard disk is converted to the dynamic disk, the concept of is primary and extended partitions is replaced with dynamic type volumes, with no primary or extended segregations.
How to Create Partitions
In order to create partitions in Windows 8, step-by-step instructions are given below and should be done using an administrator account:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator account.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop.
- Once on the desktop screen, click File Explorer icon from the taskbar.
- On the Libraries window, right-click Computer from the left pane.
- From the context menu that appears, click Manage.
- On the Computer Management snap-in, click to select Disk Management under Storage category from the left pane.
- From the lower half section of the right pane, right-click the unallocated space where the new partition is to be created.
- From the displayed context menu, click New Simple Volume.
- On the Welcome to the New Simple Volume Wizard page, click Next.
- On Specify Volume Size page, in the Simple volume size in MB field, specify the size of the new partition in MB. The size of the new partition must be less than or equal to the maximum available unallocated space in the hard disk drive.
- Click Next to continue.
- On Assign Drive Letter or Path page, leave everything as default and click Next.
- On Format Partition page, ensure that Format this volume with the following settings radio button is selected.
- On the same page, also ensure that Perform a quick format checkbox is checked and click Next.
- On Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard page, click Finish to create a new partition on the hard disk.
- Wait till the new partition is created and close Computer Management snap-in when done.