Microsoft runs its own cloud services by the name of SkyDrive. When a new Microsoft account is created, either using Windows 8 interface or through any other method, 7 GB of SkyDrive space assigned to that account at absolutely no cost.
When users log on to Windows 8 computer using Microsoft account, they can connect to the SkyDrive using the credentials of that account, and can upload and/or download the data from the cloud. One of the biggest benefits of using SkyDrive is that the uploaded data can be accessed from anywhere across the globe, provided the device is that is used to access the data has an active Internet connection and is SkyDrive supported.
Note: As mentioned above, a Microsoft account must be used to log on to Windows 8 in order to access SkyDrive storage. However even if users are logged on to the computer with local user account, they can still access the SkyDrive cloud services by providing the Microsoft account’s credentials when prompted, when SkyDrive tile is clicked on the Start screen.
How to Upload Files to SkyDrive in Windows 8
In order to upload files to SkyDrive in Windows 8, see the step-by-step instructions below:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator or standard user account.
- Make sure that the computer is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Click SkyDrive tile from the Start screen.
- On Add your Microsoft Account screen, type the Microsoft account ID and password in the available fields.
- Once done, click Save.
- On the displayed screen, click to select the appropriate container to upload its corresponding file type to the SkyDrive.
- On the next window, right-click anywhere.
- From the displayed options at the bottom of the screen, click Upload.
- From the opened window, click to select the file that is to be uploaded to the SkyDrive. Optionally, multiple files can also be selected by pressing and holding the CTRL key.
- Once selected, click Add to SkyDrive button to upload the selected file to the SkyDrive.
- On the next window, right-click the file and from the displayed options at the left bottom of the screen, click Download to save the selected file on the local hard disk.
- Close SkyDrive when done.