While using Windows 8 in homes or in offices, there might be times when users feel that the current hard drive is not sufficient enough to store all the required data that is regular in use. When this type of situation occurs, the best option that computer users can go for is to purchase an additional hard disk drive and install it.
Since almost all motherboards that are manufactured nowadays have multiple SATA/PATA ports to allow users to install other SATA/PATA devices (hard disk drives/CD/DVD-ROM drives), the task is much easier than it was before due to limited ports.
After physically installing a hard disk drive in the computer by connecting the appropriate data and power cables to their corresponding ports and connectors in the motherboard, a few additional steps are also required to initialize the connected drive before it can be used as additional storage.
The process of initialization of the second hard disk drive that is connected to the computer requires elevated privileges, and therefore administrator account must be used to log on to the computer in order to initialize the hard disk drive to make it usable. Hard disk drive initialization is just the one-time process which should be done after the hard disk drive is connected to the computer and the PC is started for the very first time.
How Do I Add a Second Hard Drive in Windows 8
In order to add a second hard disk drive in Windows 8, steps-by-steps instructions given below should be followed:
- Power off the Windows 8 computer.
- Attach a second hard disk to the computer.
- Once attached, restart the computer.
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the account that has the elevated privileges.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop.
- Once on the desktop screen, press Windows + R keys simultaneously to initiate the Run command box.
- On the Run command box, in the available field, type COMPMGMT.MSC command and press Enter key.
- On the opened Computer Management snap-in, click to select Disk Management under Storage category from the left pane.
- From the lower half section of the right pane, right-click Disk 1 that represents the second hard disk drive attached to the computer.
- From the displayed context menu, click Online.
- Once done, right-click the unallocated disk space in order to create new partitions on the selected hard disk.