In order to exploit Media Center features in Windows 8 to their full, a Media Center Pack key must be provided separately when initiating the feature. This key may be separate than the one that was used to activate Windows 8 operating system.
Every time a licensed copy of Windows 8 Pro is purchased, Media Center Pack key is also emailed to the buyer’s email address along with the activation key. However exceptions may occur where Media Center Pack key is not delivered to the email address. When this is the situation, administrators must separately purchase or request for the key manually from Microsoft. Just a few additional clicks are required to accomplish the task.
As with other major changes, elevated privileges must be used to log on to the computer. Only administrators of Windows 8 computer can perform the task because Windows 8 additional features are required to be enabled before online request for Media Center Pack key is forwarded to Microsoft.
How to Request Media Center Pack Key in Windows 8?
Step-by-step instructions are given below:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator account.
- Make sure that Windows 8 computer is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop.
- Once on the desktop screen, hover mouse to the bottom right corner.
- From the displayed options, click Control Panel.
- On the opened Control Panel window, click System and Security category.
- On System and Security window, click Add features to Windows 8 category from the right pane.
- On User Account Control confirmation box, click Yes to provide administrative consent to make a request for Windows 8 Media Center Pack.
- On Add features to Windows 8 box, click I want to buy a product key online.
- On Here’s what we found page, click Choose button to add the Media Center Pack to Windows 8 Pro.
- Once done, follow on-screen instructions thereafter to continue with the process.
Note: Windows 8 Media Center pack is only available for the users who are running Windows 8 Pro edition. For users who are running Windows 8, they must upgrade their current OS to Windows 8 Pro, or choose Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Pack while adding features to Windows 8.