When Windows 8 is installed in an office where computers are connected to each other in a workgroup environment, it is likely that administrators might create multiple user accounts on a single PC in order to allow more than one users to work on that computer. Likewise, in homes where there are many family members to share a single computer, multiple user accounts might be required on Windows 8.
Administrators might want to remove some user accounts if the account’s corresponding user is no longer available to use the PC. In such conditions, administrators of Windows 8 computer can delete that user account so that they can prevent any misuse.
While removing a user account, administrators can choose whether they want to keep the user profile, or they want to remove the profile of the deleted user account as well in order to wipe off all the traces of the account.
Deleting user account from a Windows 8 computer is an administrative task. Therefore elevated privileges are required to get the job done. To accomplish this, an account with administrative rights must be used to log on to the computer before initiating the user account removal process.
How to Remove User Accounts in Windows 8
In order to remove user accounts in Windows 8, step-by-step instructions are given below:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator account.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go the desktop window.
- Once on the desktop screen, hover mouse to the bottom right corner.
- From the displayed options, click Settings.
- From the Settings pane, click Control Panel.
- On Control Panel window, click User Accounts and Family Safely category.
- On User Accounts and Family Safely window, click Remove user accounts under User Accounts category from the right pane.
- On Manage Accounts window, click the standard user account whose account is to be deleted.
- On Change an Account window, from the available options, click Delete the account.
- On Delete Account window, click Delete Files button. Alternatively Keep Files button can also be clicked in order to save the contents of the user in a folder of his name which will be placed on administrator’s desktop.
- On Confirm Deletion window, click Delete Account to remove the selected user account.
- Close Manage Accounts window when done.