When Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system is installed on your computer, by default the OS is configured to automatically detect any USB pen drive that is connected to the computer. The computer is also configured to read the CD/DVD-ROM that the CD/DVD drive may contain.
In office networks, especially where security is a major concern, the systems administrators deliberately disable the detection of any external or removable media in order to prevent intrusions and/or data theft.
However if you use your laptop at home, and the laptop is never used in office networks and does not contain any sensitive information, it is likely that any unwanted script or corrupt has automatically modified the settings of your computer. Although restoring the system back to its previous restore point or reinstalling the operating system right from the scratch can resolve the issue easily, these options should be opted as last resorts to rectify the issue.
The steps given below will guide you through the process of resolving the problem using the Windows Group Policies.
Note: Modifying the Group Policy settings incorrectly might damage your operating system permanently or make it unstable for use. Therefore you are strongly suggested to follow the steps exactly the way they are given below. The website and the author of this tutorial will not be responsible for any damage caused to your computer because of incorrect configuration in the Group Policies.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Log on to Windows 7 computer with the administrator account.
- Once logged on, click the Start button.
- From the bottom of the Start menu, in the search box, type GPEDIT.MSC command and hit Enter key.
- When (and if) asked for, click the Yes button on the UAC confirmation box.
- In the opened Local Group Policy Editor snap-in, from the left pane, go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System and click to select Removable Storage Access.
- From the right pane, double-click the All Removable Storage classes: Deny all access option.
- On the opened box, click to select the Disabled radio button.
- Click OK button to save the changes.
- If needed, follow the above procedure for CD and DVD, and Removable Storage Deny read/write/execute access options as well.
- Once done, restart the computer to allow the changes to take effect.
- Start using the computer and the removable storage connected to it after the successful restart.