Required Items: (Instructions on how to obtain these are below)
2. Auslogics DiskDefrag
Both of these programs are considered freeware!
You can get CCleaner HERE
You can get Auslogics DiskDefrag HERE
1. Download CCleaner form the link above.
2. Download Auslogics DiskDefrag.
3. Run CCleaner installer.
4. Install it in a convenient location.
5. Run CCleaner.
6. On start up you will be greeted with this:
7. The program will automatically detect what is ok for you to remove, so you don't need to go checking every box.
8. Hit analyze (This could take a few moments depending on how good of a hard drive or solid state drive you are using).
9. Hit run cleaner once the analyze is finished. This step will remove all those unwanted junk files.
10. Once that is finished you are going to hit registry which should look like this:
11. Before you do anything in this menu, you should make a folder called "RegistryBackup" wherever is convenient.
12. Once you finish making that folder hit scan for issues. (Again this could take some time depending on your hardware)
13. Now hit fix selected issues.
14. You should see a menu pop up that says "Would you like to save a backup?"
15. Save a backup to your newly created backup folder!
16. Once that is done hit fix all issues in the new pop-up menu.
The next following steps are for advanced users! Skip to step: 20 if you are not comfortable making changes to start up programs, you must have knowledge of the programs that need to be running!
17. Go to tools then hit start up on the new side menu which should look like this:
18. You should disable programs that you know you do not need at all. For instance you can boot up your computer without steam launching with it. Critical programs are normally labeled with Intel or AMD.
19. Disabling these programs on start up will speed up your PC, and can be turned back on but use caution, look up things that you do not know.
20. You are now done using CCleaner, you can regularly use the cleaner function and registry function, once a week should be more than sufficient to keep your computer running smoothly!
21. Run Auslogics DiskDefrag installer.
22. Install it in a convenient location.
23. Run Auslogics DiskDefrag.
24. On start up you will be greeted with this:
25. Select each drive that IS NOT AN SSD OR FLASH DRIVE (This is important because you will just be wasting read and write cycles on your ssd and/or flash drive)
26. Hit analyze (This step could take a while depending on your hardware)
27. Then after this is done you can see how fragmented your drive is though non essential something to keep in mind is that anything below 2% you really do not need to waste time defragging.
28. Before you defrag anything you should go to the Setting tab which should look like:
29. Go to defrag priority and hit the high priority button (this will ensure the defrag is done faster)
30. Now hit the Defrag Menu drop down which should look like this:
31. Hit defrag and optimize (This will take a long time!)
32. After this is done you are good to go, and have defragmented your hard drive! I recommend doing this once a week after using CCleaner.
33. And it is as simple as that! You now have a computer running at its full potential without it getting bogged down by useless files or fragmentation!