The Internet Download Manager or IDM also allows you to schedule, prioritize and classify the tasks to the directories according to their category. Apart from this, the program enables you to define the files to be downloaded automatically based on their extensions.
The user interface of the Internet Download Manager is very straightforward and easy to operate and interact with, and by default the web browsers hand over all the download tasks to the Internet Download Manager. The IDM, at its part, starts downloading the associated and recognized files automatically.
While downloading, the Internet Download Manager uses a temporary directory to store the fragments of the file that is being downloaded. After completing the download, the IDM concatenates the fragments and transfers the complete file to the default or specified directory according to its category. Such directory may or may not be located in the system drive, i.e. C:.
In order to get optimum performance and to expedite the entire process, it is recommended that you set the location of the temporary folder to any partition other that C: drive on the same hard disk drive, or to some other HDD that may be present in your PC.
The reason for this recommendation is, since the temporary folder is by default located in the system drive, i.e. C:, and the IDM stores the fragments of the file being downloaded in this drive, the fragments may occupy large amount of disk space in the C: drive, and thus may hamper the system performance.
Here’s what you need to do to overcome this issue:
- Log on to the computer using the administrator -account.
- Initialize the Internet Download Manager program.
- On the opened interface, click the Downloads menu from the menu bar.
- From the displayed menu, click Options.
- On the Internet Download Manager Configuration box, go to the Save to tab.
- Under the Temporary Directory section, click Browse button.
- On the opened Browse for Folder box, choose the location for the temporary folder.
- Once done, click OK.
- Back on the previous box, click OK on all the opened boxes and interfaces to save the changes.