Apart from the compression methods and easy-to-use interface, WinRAR also allows users to set various parameters while compressing the contents in order to make the entire compression process more sophisticated, secure, and efficient.
This being said, WinRAR also has a feature which, when enabled, automatically deletes the original contents after they are compressed. The reason why such feature is made available in WinRAR is to prevent the unnecessary consumption of disk space that would otherwise be consumed if the original files still remained on the computer even after they are compressed and a separate file is created that contains the original contents. Although the automatic deletion feature is by default disabled in WinRAR, if your files are still automatically getting deleted right after the successful completion of the compression process, the most likely reason can be that the automatic deletion feature has been turned on either deliberately by some other user, or through any third-party application automatically.
In either of the above discussed scenarios, you might get annoyed because of this strange behavior. Therefore, it is required that you should know where this automatic deletion feature is present in WinRAR, and how you can configure the application to prevent the automatic deletion of the original files after they are compressed.
Below are the instructions that will guide you through the process of disabling the automatic deletion of original files after they have been compressed through WinRAR:
- Log on to the Windows computer on which the configuration has to be made.
- Ensure that WinRAR application has been successfully installed.
- Locate the target folder that contains the files that are to be compressed.
- Once located, right-click the folder.
- From the displayed context menu, click Add to archive option.
- On the opened Archive name and parameters box, ensure that you are on the General tab.
- Under the Archiving options section, uncheck the Delete files after archiving checkbox.
- Once done, click the OK button to start the compression process.
Note: When a compression process is initiated after modifying the parameters, the parameters remain persistent until they are again modified manually. In order to change the parameters, you must again follow the steps given above and make appropriate modifications, which would then remain persistent until they are manually modified again.