Like any other application, even Skype has a few hotkeys using which you can make your Skype user experience quite easy and comfortable. However these hotkeys are by default disabled. Microsoft did this assuming that most users would be using Skype on the advanced PCs in which the absence of mouse is quite rare. Also, nowadays most users work on tablets and laptops with touchscreens. In such devices, it is very unlikely that users would ever need a hotkey to initialize calls with Skype.
The above assumptions that Microsoft made were implemented keeping in mind that the users would always use the advanced technology and latest devices. But the matter of fact is that there are still many end-users present out there who use the legacy desktop computers or the laptop PCs with keyboards and mouse. Even Microsoft understands this and therefore it has provided the hotkeys but has kept them disabled by default.
If you are a desktop or laptop user that has keyboard and mouse attached to it (or touchpad is used as the mouse), you can manually enable the hotkeys. There are multiple hotkeys available in Skype to work with different features and tasks. The best part with the hotkeys available in Skype is that the key combination can be modified as per your individual preferences.
Here is what you need to do to enable the hotkeys in Skype:
- Log on to the computer.
- Double-click the Skype icon in order to initialize the program.
- On the opened interface, from the menubar, go to Tools>Options.
- On the opened Skype Options box, from the left pane, click to select Advanced option.
- From the expanded list, click to select Hotkeys option.
- From the right pane, check Enable keyboard shortcuts checkbox.
- From the enabled options, check the checkbox is representing the hotkeys that you want to use to ease your user experience with Skype.
- Optionally you can also double-click any of the selected hotkey in order to change its key combinations as per your own preferences.
- Once done, click theSave button.
- Finally click Close.
- If required, restart Skype in order to allow the changes to take effect.