This is quite possible.
The reason behind this behavior of Skype application is that somebody either deliberately or accidentally has modified the chat history settings.
By default Skype is configured to keep the chat history forever. This being said, every time you chat with any of your contacts, the chat history is saved in Skype. This chat history can be reviewed later for references or in order to keep the track of the conversation that took place between the 2 parties for official records.
However many times users might not find this default configuration quite helpful due to some security or privacy reasons. Therefore such users change the default settings and configure the Skype to not to save the chat history. Or if the application is configured to save the chat history, the users might define the time limit, as it is the case in this situation. In this scenario, the chat history is automatically deleted after 2 weeks.
As a normal home user, or even a professional who deals in a business where security is not a major concern, if you want to save your chat history forever so that you can review it later, you can modify the misconfigured settings and set them to default. In this tutorial you will learn how to modify these settings in Skype.
Below are the instructions that will guide you through the process of configuring the Skype to save your chat history forever:
- Log on to the computer on which Skype is installed.
- Make sure that the computer is connected to an active Internet connection.
- Ensure that Skype is running flawlessly and has the latest updates.
- Sign in to the Skype using correct account credentials.
- On the opened interface, go to Tools > Options.
- On the opened Skype Options box, from the left pane, click to select the Privacy category.
- From the expanded list, ensure that Privacy settings option is selected.
- From the right pane, from the Keep history for drop-down list, choose the Forever option.
- Once done, click Save.
- Finally click the Close button to close the Skype Options box.
- Restart Skype to allow the changes to take effect.