Even though you can make modifications to the actual camrec file, while saving the changes in Camtasia Studio, the modified camrec file is not saved. Instead, the entire project is saved as the camproj file which can be reopened if further modifications are needed. If the project file is lost somehow, you are required to make the alterations and edit the camrec file right from the start.
In all, there is no way to edit and save the camrec file as a separate entity. However, there is still a very smart workaround to accomplish this. What you can do is that you can save the edited media file as an asset in the built-in Library that the Camtasia Studio program has. When you save the edited media file (even if the file is not in camrec format), you can easily use the file in future by going to the Library, and dragging the added file back to the timeline.
Adding a camrec or any other file from the timeline to the Library is a very simple task. Here’s what you need to do:
- Log on to the computer using any account.
- Ensure that Camtasia Studio and Camtasia Recorder programs are running flawlessly.
- If required, record a new movie file using the Camtasia Recorder program.
- After recording, save the recorded file by defining a new name and leaving the extension as default.
- As a next step, initialize the Camtasia Studio program by double-clicking its icon.
- On the displayed interface, click the Import media option.
- On the opened box, browse and locate the newly recorded camrec file.
- Click the Open button after selecting the camrec file.
- Once the file is added to the Clip Bin in the interface, drag the file to the timeline present at the bottom.
- Make required alterations in the file.
- Once you are done, right-click the modified media in the timeline.
- From the displayed context menu, click Add asset to Library option to add the edited file to the Library for future use.