Also, since the camrec file format is the well-known extension for the Camtasia application and is precisely built for the program, it becomes easier for Camtasia to work with the camrec files. This further allows the end users to get some additional features to work upon the files which is not the case when the files are saved in AVI.
If you are experiencing such problem where your recorded files are saved in AVI format instead of using the default camrec extension, it means that someone has deliberately or accidentally modified the settings. There is also a possibility that any third-party application which is incompatible with Camtasia has automatically modified the settings and have set the default saving extension to AVI.
Regardless of the reason behind the modified settings in Camtasia, you can easily revert the configuration back to default, and allow the program to save the files in a regular camrec format without any administrative intervention or having any elevated privileges.
After going through this tutorial, you will end up learning the process with the help of which you can easily configure your Camtasia Recorder program to save the recorded files in camrec format.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Log on to the computer using any account since no administrative intervention is required.
- Double-click the Camtasia Recorder icon to initialize the program. You can also go to the Start > All Programs > TechSmith > Camtasia Recorder to start the application.
- On the opened interface, click the Tools menu from the menu bar.
- From the displayed menu, click Options.
- On the opened Tools Options box, make sure that the General tab is selected.
- On the displayed interface, under the Saving section, choose the .camrec option from the Record to drop-down list.
- Once this is done, click OK to save the changes and to close the Tools Options box.
- To be on the safer side, restart the program to allow the changes to take effect before you start working on it.