If you are experiencing an issue as described in the title of this tutorial, the reason might be that the hotkey to turn microphone on or off has been either disabled or is changed to something else. This may happen due to any misconfiguration, or any word or phrase that has been not spoken correctly into the microphone. In either case, the end result is that you are required to turn the microphone on or off using the mouse click, which is not a convenient way to work with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0.
In this tutorial you will learn how you can get the default hotkey back to turn the microphone on or off. With the help of the instructions given in this tutorial, you will also be able to learn how to modify the existing and default hotkeys for various actions that can be performed in the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0 program.
Modifying the hotkeys in Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0 is not an administrative task and therefore no elevated privileges or administrative intervention is required to get the job done.This being said, you can log on to the computer using any account that may or may not belong to the Administrators group to rectify the issue.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Initialize Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0 by double-clicking its icon.
- Once initialized, make sure that the user profile on which you are facing the problem is
successfully loaded and is ready to use.
- From the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0 interface, go to the Tools menu.
- From the displayed list, click Options.
- On the opened Options box, go to the Hot keys tab.
- On the displayed interface, click the Microphone on/off button.
- Once the Set Hot Key box is opened, press the + on the numpad of the keyboard to define the numpad’s + sign as the hotkey to turn the microphone on or off. (If some other hotkey is configured for the command, it will be displayed in the box. In this case your task will be to remove the existing hotkey by selecting the entire text and pressing the Delete button on the keyboard, clicking the OK button, and then clicking the Apply button back on the Options box. After doing so, you are then required to press the Microphone on/off button again and continue with step 7 to get the task done.).
NOTE: When you press + sign on the numpad, only the numpad’s + sign will be used to turn the microphone on or off. The + sign present above the other alphanumeric keys on the keyboard keeps working normally.
- Once done, click OK to save the changes and to close the Options box.
- If required, close and reopen the current user profile to allow the changes to take effect.