In order to avoid such situations, and to prevent the misuse of the printing devices this way, many administrators restrict the availability of the printing devices within a particular time frame only. As the title of this tutorial says, if you, as a printer administrator, like to make your printing device available only between 10 AM to 12 PM, you can easily do so by following the instructions given below:
- Using the administrator account, log on to the computer to which the printing device is connected, and you want to configure the availability of the device.
- Assuming that you are using Windows 7 operating system, click the Start button.
- From the displayed Start menu, go to the Devices and Printers option.
- On the opened window, under the Printers and Faxes section, right-click the icon of the printer whose availability you want to configure.
- From the displayed context menu, go to the Printer properties option.
- On the opened printer’s properties box, go to the Advanced tab.
- On the displayed interface, click to select the Available from radio button.
- In the available fields, specify the time duration within which you want to make the printer available.
- Once done, click OK to save the changes.
Note: If you have installed multiple instances of the printer driver for the same printing device, you must configure the availability time on all the instances in order to make the security almost foolproof. Apart from making the printer available for a certain time frame, you can also set the NTFS permissions for the users/groups in order to protect the misuse of the printer from any unwanted or unauthorized person.