Since the DHCP server always assigns the dynamic IP addresses to the client computers which may change from time to time, and the DNS maintains the records of the information about the host names and their corresponding IP addresses, there must be some technology with the help of which the DNS server records can automatically get updated with the latest IP addresses that the DHCP server has assigned to the DHCP clients. With the help of DNS integration with the DHCP, you can simplify this task and can remarkably reduce the administrative overhead.
Just like other DHCP administration configurations, even this one requires that you should use the Enterprise Admin or Domain Admin account credentials to make the changes. In case your DHCP server is a standalone Windows Server 2012 server, you can use the local administrator account credentials to log on while making the above configurations in the DHCP server.
Here is how you can enable the DNS integration with the Windows Server 2012 DHCP server:
- Log on to the Windows Server 2012 DHCP server with the appropriate account credentials.
- If not already started, initialize the Server Manager window from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- On the opened Server Manager window, from the left pane, click to select the DHCP category.
- From the right pane, under the SERVERS section, right-click the DHCP server from the displayed list.
- From the context menu that appears, click the DHCP Manager option.
- On the opened DHCP snap-in, from the left pane, expand the server name. (DC-01.MYDOMAIN.COM for this demonstration.).
- From the displayed list, click to select and then right-click IPv4 container.
- From the context menu that appears, click the Properties option.
- On the opened IPv4 Properties box, go to the DNS tab.
- From the displayed interface, check the Enable DNS dynamic updates according to the settings below checkbox.
- Once done, make sure that the Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records only if requested by the DHCP clients radio button is selected.
- Make sure that the Discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted checkbox is checked.
- Once done, click OK to save the changes that you have made.