Although you can use a physical bootable media to install an operating system on a Hyper-V virtual machine, it is always a good idea to use the ISO image file to do so in order to reduce the overall time that the installation process otherwise takes when you the physical bootable CD/DVD is used for installation.
Here is how you can mount a Windows installation bootable ISO file on a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V virtual machine:
- Using the appropriate account that has the required privileges, log on to the Windows Server 2012 computer on which the Hyper-V role is installed.
- If not already started, initialize the Server Manager window from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Once the Server Manager window is initialized, from the left pane, click to select the Hyper-V category.
- From the right pane, under the SERVERS section, right-click the Hyper-V server from the available list.
- From the context menu that appears, click the Hyper-V Manager option.
- On the opened Hyper-V Manager snap-in, from the left pane, right-click the name of the server. (DC-01 for this demonstration.).
- From the context menu, make sure that the service is started and all the contextual options are visible. If the service is not started, you must click the Start Service option from the context menu, and then right-click the server name again and continue with the instructions.
- From the center pane, click to select and then right-click the virtual machine on which you want to mount the bootable ISO image to install the required operating system.
- From the context menu, click Settings.
- On the opened box, from the left pane, under the Hardware section, click to select DVD Drive under the IDE Controller 1 section.
- From the right pane, under the Media section, click to select the Image file radio button.
- Click the enabled Browse button and locate the target ISO image file.
- Once done, click OK to save the changes.
- After you have followed the above instructions correctly, you can now restart the virtual machine and start the installation process using the ISO file as the installation media.