However, the scenario mentioned in the title of this tutorial is completely different. In this scenario, a particular virtual machine automatically starts when the server boots, even if the virtual machine was properly powered off before shutting down the server.
In this situation, it is important that you configure the virtual machine’s start up actions to rectify the problem.
Here’s how you can prevent the automatic turning on of the Hyper-V virtual machine right after the Windows Server 2012 startup:
- Using the appropriate account that has the required privileges, log on to the Windows Server 2012 computer on which the Hyper-V role is installed.
- If not already started, initialize the Server Manager window from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Once the Server Manager window is initialized, from the left pane, click to select the Hyper-V category.
- From the right pane, under the SERVERS section, right-click the Hyper-V server from the available list.
- From the context menu that appears, click the Hyper-V Manager option.
- On the opened Hyper-V Manager snap-in, from the left pane, right-click the name of the server. (DC-01 for this demonstration.).
- From the context menu, make sure that the service is started and all the contextual options are visible. If the service is not started, you must click the Start Service option from the context menu, and then right-click the server name again and continue with the instructions.
- From the center pane, click to select and then right-click the virtual machine on which you want to mount the bootable ISO image to install the required operating system.
- From the context menu, click Settings.
- From the opened box, from the left pane, under the Management section, click to select
the Automatic Start Action category.
- From the right pane, click to select the Automatically start if it was running when the service stopped radio button. (This is the default selection)
- Click OK when done.
- Try restarting the Hyper-V server, and the virtual machine should not start automatically this time.