If you are a DNS administrator and you have configured secondary DNS zones in your Active Directory network infrastructure, it is important that you enable the DNS zone transfers without which the secondary DNS zones would not be able to receive the updates from the primary zone.
In this tutorial you will learn how you can enable the zone transfers between the DNS servers. In this demonstration, you can leave the default settings intact for the sake of simplicity.
Here is how you can enable the DNS zone transfers in a Windows Server 2012 DNS server:
- Log on to the Windows Server 2012 DNS server using the Enterprise Admin or Domain Admin account credentials.
- If not already started, initialize the Server Manager window from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Once the Server Manager window is initialized, from the left pane, click to select the
- From the right pane, under the SERVERS section, right-click the DNS server.
- From the context menu that appears, click DNS Manager.
- On the opened DNS Manager snap-in from the left pane, expand the server name (DC-01.MYDOMAIN.COM for this demonstration), and then expand Forward Lookup Zones.
- From the expanded list, click to select and then right-click the domain name. (MYDOMAIN.COM for this demonstration.).
- From the displayed context menu, click the Properties option.
- On the opened domain’s properties box, go to the Zone Transfers tab.
- On the displayed interface, check the Allow zone transfers checkbox.
- From the enabled radio buttons, make sure that the To any server one is selected.
- Alternatively you can also select any of the available radio buttons, provided you have configured the DNS server settings accordingly.
- Once done, click OK to confirm the changes, save the settings, and to close the domain’s properties box.
- Back on the DNS Manager snap-in, right-click the server name. (DC-01.MYDOMAIN.COM for this demonstration.).
- From the displayed context menu, go to All Tasks, and click Restart from the submenu that appears.
- Wait till the DNS service restarts before the DNS server starts working using the modified settings.