In MS Word 2013 or any other text editor, blank spaces are replaced by some hidden characters or symbols or both. These symbols are present in the document while they are saved or transferred, but MS Word makes these symbols and characters invisible on the document.
While using MS Word, strange characters are visible when you press blank spaces like Space, Tab, or Enter. These formatting symbols are arrows, paragraph marks, and dots. Although these strange characters do not have any literal meaning, when visible, they just help you identify the type of spaces, tabs or line breaks that you document has.. If you easily get annoyed with such strange symbols (which is quite normal human behavior), there is no need to get worried as these strange characters are not visible on your document if you send or print them.
Now, you may be getting these symbols because you have accidentally turned on the settings to show formatting symbols. Display settings of Word document can also be corrupted because of any incompatible software or add-on.
Simply follow these steps to turn back to normal MS Word experience and make the blank spaces, blank again.
- Initialize MS Word program using any account.
- On programs interface window, select FILE from the menu tabs.
- On the Word’s settings and information’s page, click on Options button situated on the left pane.
- On the Word Options box, select Display from the categories on the left pane.
- On the section Always show these formatting marks on the screen, uncheck the Paragraph marks checkbox.
- Press OK to save the changes.
- Close and reopen MS Word 2013 from the Start menu.
Now when you use MS Word, the strange characters will not be visible in place of blank spaces, and the document will look normal again.