In order to enable and configure HomeGroup in Windows 8, all participating computers must be assigned with IP version 6 IP addresses. Once the IP version 6 IP addresses are assigned to all the computers, a new HomeGroup can be created on any one computer in the home network. This makes the computer act as a server, and all other computers in the network can then join the created HomeGroup.
HomeGroup is a feature that is designed and integrated in Windows 8 for home users only. This means that the security measures available in HomeGroup are not appropriate to be used in production environments. Therefore advanced security methods must be implemented when the objects are shared in organizations.
HomeGroup is not limited to Windows 8 only. This means that if a new HomeGroup is created on a Windows 8 computer, the computers running Windows 7 operating systems can also be added to the existing HomeGroup, provided they have been assigned with IP version 6 IP addresses, and they belong to the same home network.
How to Enable Sharing Between Two Computers Using HomeGroup in Windows 8?
In order to enable sharing between two computers using HomeGroup in Windows 8, step-by-step instructions given below must be followed:
- Log on to Windows 8 computer with the administrator account on which sharing is to be enabled between two computers using HomeGroup.
- Make sure that both the computers are joined to a HomeGroup.
- Click Desktop tile from the Start screen to go to the desktop.
- Once on the desktop screen, hover mouse to the bottom right corner.
- From the displayed options, click Settings.
- From the bottom of the Settings pane, click Change PC settings.
- On the opened PC settings window, click to select HomeGroup category from the left
- From the right section, click the buttons one-by-one opposite to the desired contents under Libraries and devices in order to enable sharing, and to make them available for other computers added to the HomeGroup.
- Wait till the Windows make changes to the HomeGroup, and close PC settings window when done.