1. Press Cntrl+Shift+Esc. This will open up Task Manager. Below is a link showing what it looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:System_idle_process.p...
2. Go to the "Processes" tab. In the above link showing what the Task Manager looks like, they have already clicked on the "Processes" tab.
3. Near the bottom of the window you will see "Show Processes For All Users". Press that.
4. Make sure that the box is checked for "Show Processes For All Users". This will be in the place where you first clicked the box for "Show Processes For All Users". Don't ask why you have to check the box. It makes no sense to me either since you've already expressed your wishes to see the information when you clicked on the box that clearly states that.
5. Close any programs that you have running that are eating up a lot of CPU resources by right-clicking on the process, then click "End Process". Be careful in doing this though. There is going to be a LOT of things that you don't what they are. Only close programs/processes that you are familiar with what they are. You don't want to close down something that you need.
6. Enjoy a computer that now runs more efficiently!