If your instance of Windows 8/Windows 8.1 is not activated, and you try to change desktop wallpaper, the changed settings would not be saved. This means that after changing the desktop background, when you log off from the computer or restart the computer altogether, you will get the default desktop background wallpaper back as soon as you log back in.
Assuming that you have successfully activated your copy of Windows 8/Windows 8.1 operating system, below is the procedure to guide you through as how you can change the desktop background on your computer:
- Log on to the Windows 8/8.1 computer with any account.
- From the Start window, click the Desktop tile.
- Once on the desktop window, right-click anywhere.
- From the displayed context menu, click Personalize.
- On the opened Personalization window, click the Desktop Background option from the bottom.
- From the opened Desktop Background window, click to select the desired image to use it as the desktop wallpaper for your profile.
- Optionally you can also select multiple pictures from the list, and can select the desired time from the Change picture every drop-down list to automatically change the desktop wallpaper as per the selected time interval.
- Once selected, click Save changes to save the modifications that you have made.
- The changes should be reflected instantaneously. In case they don’t, log off or restart the computer, and then log back in.