Adding the programs to startup in Windows 8/Windows 8.1 is not as simple as it was in Windows 7 or earlier versions of Microsoft operating systems. There is a bit more of a smart work that is required to get the job done in this latest version of Microsoft’s OS.
Here’s how you can add a program to Windows startup in Windows 8/Windows 8.1:
- Log on to the Windows 8/Windows 8.1 using your account.
- From the Start screen, click the Desktop tile.
- Once on the desktop window, locate the installed application that you want to add to the Windows startup. (Snipping Tool is used for this demonstration.)
- Once located, right-click the application icon.
- From the displayed context menu, click Create shortcut.
- Once the shortcut is created, copy the shortcut by right-clicking the shortcut icon, and selecting Copy from the context menu.
- Once this is done, press Windows + R keys simultaneously to initialize the Run command box.
- Once the Run command box is opened, type %AppData% in the available field and hit Enter.
- On the opened Roaming window, go to the Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Startup folder.
10. Once you are inside the Startup folder, paste the shortcut that you copied in step-6 by right-clicking anywhere and selecting the Paste option from the context menu.
11. Once you are done, close all the opened windows, and restart the computer in order to allow the changes to take effect.