[SOLVED] While updating updates for Firmware, power went off for Mac mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashok990

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
While updating updates for Firmware, machine asked to restart & hold the power button, so that updates can take place in between this power went off for Mac MIni 10.5.7 version.

Now when I press the power button the light glows but no display on monitor.
Tried to boot with bootable disc also, unable to boot & no display
Unable to eject the disc also.

Please help me on this.

Regards,
Ashok.

Solution
Try the steps below. There's a note about a failing firmware update, you may be able to create a Firmware recovery CD. Full article is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1557

"Hold down the power button until the power indicator light flashes, then release it. A long tone will be heard, then a gray screen with an Apple logo appears. There is a progress bar under the logo. As the progress bar moves, your firmware is being updated.

Important: Do not unplug, shutdown, or restart your computer while the update is taking place. Interrupting a firmware update can render your computer unusable. If this happens, take your machine to an Apple store or authorized service provider or perform the recovery yourself using another Macintosh...

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try the steps below. There's a note about a failing firmware update, you may be able to create a Firmware recovery CD. Full article is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1557

"Hold down the power button until the power indicator light flashes, then release it. A long tone will be heard, then a gray screen with an Apple logo appears. There is a progress bar under the logo. As the progress bar moves, your firmware is being updated.

Important: Do not unplug, shutdown, or restart your computer while the update is taking place. Interrupting a firmware update can render your computer unusable. If this happens, take your machine to an Apple store or authorized service provider or perform the recovery yourself using another Macintosh computer to download the Firmware Restoration CD disk image from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/. This software allows you to create a CD which you can use to restore your machine to working order.

Installation takes a few minutes."

Solution

ashok990

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thank You for providing the links, I have downloaded the Firmware Restoration CD disk image but unable to eject the disc which was present earlier (Bootable CD) from Macmini machine.
Please help.

ashok990

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thank You for providing details.

At last taken out the CD manually, when I switch on Macmini inserted the Firmware Restoration CD, only light glows nothing happens, Pressed button C to boot with CD & I tried the steps provided below but no luck

Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).

On Macs that don't have a sleep LED, tones are used instead. Hold down the power button until you hear 3 long tones, then 3 short tones, then 3 long tones.

On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.
Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.
A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.

(suspecting that chip may got failure due to power off whlie updating firmware or any hardware problem?) need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.