Sign in with
Your question

How to get around GPO blocking internet explorer

Last response: in Business Computing
February 16, 2011 10:34:32 PM

Hello,
In a lab environment, I have a A small network of Server2008 and client: Win7. I have a GPO blocking the usage of iexplorer.exe @ C:\program files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe. It works fine, which is part of my experiment. But what I would like to know is how to get around the GPO and still use IE? If at all?

Kilborn
March 16, 2011 4:23:09 PM

Disable the GPO or move the computer object out of the OU structure where the GPO resides.
January 27, 2012 9:49:19 PM

I believe the idea was to get around it, not disable it. Although someone "hacking" would try to do that so I guess that does make sense.
If the GPO is set Globally, wouldn't I have to roll the system off the domain to properly use IE?
Related resources
January 31, 2012 6:14:54 PM

Possibly. Depends on how the GPO is set. Once set, it may stick around. It could be set as a preference as well.

How would you get around a GPO? Install a different browser. :) 

Also, you might be able to rename Iexplorer.exe to something else and launch that. I haven't played with the restrictions on it but it might work.
February 2, 2012 10:08:04 AM

I haven't really messed with GPO much, so I am not sure how smart it is. The things I can think off the top of my head are.

Different Browser.
Remote Desk Session.
Viewing a website via another website that is approved.
!