Isass.exe

Hi everyone
This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the process of
booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with a dialog box saying
"Invalid handle" not specified, above this is "Isass.exe". I click OK and it
reboots no problem, it does not do it all the time just only on odd
occasions.
I have done a quick check on this error but I am confused because between
what they say i.e. lower case L or Upper case i, in my processes it looks
like A upper case i Can anybody shed light on this thanks for your help.

---
More about isass

    Sorry, I missed out that I have sp2 installed, antivirus fully updated and
    firewall protected
    "STEPHEN HOBBS" <citizen4@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    > This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the process of
    > booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with a dialog box
    > saying "Invalid handle" not specified, above this is "Isass.exe". I click
    > OK and it reboots no problem, it does not do it all the time just only on
    > odd occasions.
    > I have done a quick check on this error but I am confused because between
    > what they say i.e. lower case L or Upper case i, in my processes it looks
    > like A upper case i Can anybody shed light on this thanks for your help.
    >

    > ---

    ---

    Lsass.exe is a valid XP file. Isass.exe is not. If you have Isass.exe you
    have a virus or a trojan...

    [[isass - isass.exe - Process Information
    Process File: isass or isass.exe
    Process Name: Optix.Pro virus

    isass.exe is registered as the Optix.Pro virus which carries in it's
    payload, the ability to disable firewalls and local security protections,
    and a backdoor capability. ]]

    TROJ_ISAPASS.A
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_ISAPASS.A

    Update your anti virus software and run a full system scan.

    Free online virus scans:

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

    Get Your AVG for free!
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    ===

    If that doesn't remove Isass.exe, related files and registry entries...

    Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2.

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    Is part of the driveby downloading of unwanted programs. i.e. Scumware or
    whatever will install w/o you even being aware of it.
    =====

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    =====

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.
    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates. Without updates,
    you have a gun without ammo. You also need to use more than one
    anti scumware program. One program will *not* catch everything.

    1) CWShredder ver. 1.59 direct download:

    1a) CWShredder ver. 2.0 direct download:
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D (More for the advanced user)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) Ad-aware SE Personal

    =====

    HijackThis log tutorial
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/htlogtutorial.html

    HijackThis Log Tutorial
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42#warning

    How To Install Spybot Search and Destroy & a brief tutorial
    http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/index1.php

    HOW TO: Reconfigure Ad-aware for a Full Scan
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877
    =====

    MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/

    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    =====

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:cmuenf$cna$1@hercules.btinternet.com,
    STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Sorry, I missed out that I have sp2 installed, antivirus fully
    > updated and firewall protected
    > "STEPHEN HOBBS" <citizen4@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone
    >> This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the
    >> process of booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with
    >> a dialog box saying "Invalid handle" not specified, above this is
    >> "Isass.exe". I click OK and it reboots no problem, it does not do it
    >> all the time just only on odd occasions.
    >> I have done a quick check on this error but I am confused because
    >> between what they say i.e. lower case L or Upper case i, in my
    >> processes it looks like A upper case i Can anybody shed light on
    >> this thanks for your help.
    >>

    >> ---
    >>

    > ---

    Hi;

    STEPHEN HOBBS wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    > This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the process of
    > booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with a dialog box
    > saying "Invalid handle" not specified, above this is "Isass.exe". I click
    > OK and it reboots no problem, it does not do it all the time just only on
    > odd occasions.

    It may be that a supporting file (msvcrt.dll) is either corrupt or has been
    replaced by an older or 3rd-party version. Details here on how to correct
    that:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324762

    The "Note"" on that page listing the version information is incorrect since
    you state you have XP SP2 installed. Your version should be 7.0.2600.2180.
    You may have the correct version in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386; if so
    you can replace the file in your System32 folder with the one you find there
    by just copying the file --- no need to do the "expand" method.

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    Have you checked out possible Sasser worm infection?

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841720

    John Allen

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:10:18 +0000 (UTC), "STEPHEN HOBBS"
    <citizen4@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hi everyone
    >This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the process of
    >booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with a dialog box saying
    >"Invalid handle" not specified, above this is "Isass.exe". I click OK and it
    >reboots no problem, it does not do it all the time just only on odd
    >occasions.
    >I have done a quick check on this error but I am confused because between
    >what they say i.e. lower case L or Upper case i, in my processes it looks
    >like A upper case i Can anybody shed light on this thanks for your help.
    >

    >---

    Hi thank you for your suggestions so far, I have completed a online scan
    with "house call Trend Micro" it has done a complete scan and finds no
    infections.
    "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
    > Have you checked out possible Sasser worm infection?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841720
    >
    > John Allen
    >
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:10:18 +0000 (UTC), "STEPHEN HOBBS"
    > <citizen4@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi everyone
    >>This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the process of
    >>booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with a dialog box
    >>saying
    >>"Invalid handle" not specified, above this is "Isass.exe". I click OK and
    >>it
    >>reboots no problem, it does not do it all the time just only on odd
    >>occasions.
    >>I have done a quick check on this error but I am confused because between
    >>what they say i.e. lower case L or Upper case i, in my processes it looks
    >>like A upper case i Can anybody shed light on this thanks for your help.
    >>

    >>---

    ---

    See if you even have ISASS.EXE.
    Do a Search on your machine for ISASS.EXE.

    1. Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click
    More advanced options.
    2. Click to select the Search system folders and Search hidden files and
    folders check boxes.
    3. Click to select the Search Subfolders.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:cmvpao$q2l$1@sparta.btinternet.com,
    STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi thank you for your suggestions so far, I have completed a online
    > scan with "house call Trend Micro" it has done a complete scan and
    > finds no infections.
    > "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
    >> Have you checked out possible Sasser worm infection?
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841720
    >>
    >> John Allen
    >>
    >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:10:18 +0000 (UTC), "STEPHEN HOBBS"
    >> <citizen4@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi everyone
    >>> This is my question, when I switch on my computer through the
    >>> process of booting up every now and again I get a blank screen with
    >>> a dialog box saying
    >>> "Invalid handle" not specified, above this is "Isass.exe". I click
    >>> OK and it
    >>> reboots no problem, it does not do it all the time just only on odd
    >>> occasions.
    >>> I have done a quick check on this error but I am confused because
    >>> between what they say i.e. lower case L or Upper case i, in my
    >>> processes it looks like A upper case i Can anybody shed light on
    >>> this thanks for your help.
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>>

    > ---

    Hi thank you that suggestion, the search comes up with these only when I put
    in "Lsass.exe"
    c:\windows\$ntservicep c:\windows\system32,
    c:\windows\servicepack. When put search for "Isass.exe" This is a upper
    case i it comes up with the searches when I was checking on line for this
    error. Like I say in my processes it looks like "lsass.exe"thats a lower
    case L, where has this "Isass.exe" is upper case i. A little confusing, I
    find no other ref in the hidden files or sub.I am sure I do not have a
    problem as far as virus or worm. what do you think?

    > See if you even have ISASS.EXE.
    > Do a Search on your machine for ISASS.EXE.
    >
    > 1. Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click
    > More advanced options.
    > 2. Click to select the Search system folders and Search hidden files and
    > folders check boxes.
    > 3. Click to select the Search Subfolders.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:cmvpao$q2l$1@sparta.btinternet.com,
    > STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi thank you for your suggestions so far, I have completed a online
    >> scan with "house call Trend Micro" it has done a complete scan and
    >> finds no infections.
    >> "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
    >>> Have you checked out possible Sasser worm infection?
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841720
    >>>
    >>> John Allen

    >> ---

    ---

    Probably not a problem. The upper case i can look like a lower case L.

    I have Lsass.exe in both of these folders:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32
    and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    and not in any others, but I have XP Pro with SP1 and not SP2.

    Both my Lsass.exe's are version 5.1.2600.1106

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Lsass.exe are version 5.1.2600.2180

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:cn0ung$csb$1@sparta.btinternet.com,
    STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi thank you that suggestion, the search comes up with these only
    > when I put in "Lsass.exe"
    > c:\windows\$ntservicep c:\windows\system32,
    > c:\windows\servicepack. When put search for "Isass.exe" This is a
    > upper case i it comes up with the searches when I was checking on
    > line for this error. Like I say in my processes it looks like
    > "lsass.exe"thats a lower case L, where has this "Isass.exe" is upper
    > case i. A little confusing, I find no other ref in the hidden files
    > or sub.I am sure I do not have a problem as far as virus or worm.
    > what do you think?

    >> See if you even have ISASS.EXE.
    >> Do a Search on your machine for ISASS.EXE.
    >>
    >> 1. Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then
    >> click More advanced options.
    >> 2. Click to select the Search system folders and Search hidden files
    >> and folders check boxes.
    >> 3. Click to select the Search Subfolders.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:cmvpao$q2l$1@sparta.btinternet.com,
    >> STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi thank you for your suggestions so far, I have completed a online
    >>> scan with "house call Trend Micro" it has done a complete scan and
    >>> finds no infections.
    >>> "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message

    >>> ---
    >>

    > ---

    Thanks Wes, and everyone else who have suggested ideas, I do not think I
    have a problem. But thank you all for you help, I will keep you posted if it
    reaccurs.

    ---

    Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:cn2180$fel$1@hercules.btinternet.com,
    STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wes, and everyone else who have suggested ideas, I do not
    > think I have a problem. But thank you all for you help, I will keep
    > you posted if it reaccurs.
    >> Probably not a problem. The upper case i can look like a lower case
    >> L.
    >>
    >> I have Lsass.exe in both of these folders:
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >> and
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    >> and not in any others, but I have XP Pro with SP1 and not SP2.
    >>
    >> Both my Lsass.exe's are version 5.1.2600.1106
    >>
    >> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Lsass.exe are version 5.1.2600.2180
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:cn0ung$csb$1@sparta.btinternet.com,
    >> STEPHEN HOBBS <citizen4@btinternet.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi thank you that suggestion, the search comes up with these only
    >>> when I put in "Lsass.exe"
    >>> c:\windows\$ntservicep c:\windows\system32,
    >>> c:\windows\servicepack. When put search for "Isass.exe" This is a
    >>> upper case i it comes up with the searches when I was checking on
    >>> line for this error. Like I say in my processes it looks like
    >>> "lsass.exe"thats a lower case L, where has this "Isass.exe" is upper
    >>> case i. A little confusing, I find no other ref in the hidden files
    >>> or sub.I am sure I do not have a problem as far as virus or worm.
    >>> what do you think?

    >>> ---
    >

    > ---

Cases Windows XP