Disabling the Firewall

antonio

I'm new here and apologize if this has been answered already.
Right after installing XP Home Edition I was unable to access certain links
on a website I use a lot-specifically I'm unable to click on photos to
enlarge them and email symbol.
The owner said to turn off the XP firewall, but I have not been able to.
In Network Connections I click on "change settings", but when I right click
on the modem icon and click Properties nothing happens.
There is a "Advanced" tab at top of page but nothing about Internet
connections or firewall.
Since I really need this website for my business any help would be
appreciated.
--
Antonio

A firewall does not affect your ability to access links that you click on.

The firewall is a very important part of your online security and should not
be turned off.

Ted Zieglar

Antonio wrote:
> I'm new here and apologize if this has been answered already.
> Right after installing XP Home Edition I was unable to access certain
> links on a website I use a lot-specifically I'm unable to click on photos
> to enlarge them and email symbol.

As Ted said, you don't want to turn off your firewall. A possible cause for
the problem is that many websites use Java-script to handle some of the
tasks you mention, and XP Home doesn't come with the Java VM installed. I
suggest you go to http://java.com/en/index.jsp and download/install the Sun
Java runtime (top right corner in green box). Once you have that installed,
Restart the system and give that website another try.

--

....Sky

================

use firefox from mozilla.org .more secure.
firewall setting for turning off have to be run on
administrator account.
popup blocker on new internet explorer may be stopping
them. options,popup blocker, turn off.

"Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Antonio wrote:
>> I'm new here and apologize if this has been answered already.
>> Right after installing XP Home Edition I was unable to access certain
>> links on a website I use a lot-specifically I'm unable to click on
>> photos to enlarge them and email symbol.
>
> As Ted said, you don't want to turn off your firewall. A possible
> cause for the problem is that many websites use Java-script to handle
> some of the tasks you mention, and XP Home doesn't come with the Java
> VM installed. I suggest you go to http://java.com/en/index.jsp and
> download/install the Sun Java runtime (top right corner in green
> box). Once you have that installed, Restart the system and give that
> website another try.

Java and JavaScript are not related. Installing either the JavaVM or
JavaJRE will not help JavaScript. Some firewalls or anti-virus programs have
options to block JavaScript. If that isn't the problem:

1. You might want to refresh your scripting engine:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001169
or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

Sometimes there's a corrupt file in the cache and one must go to Tools |
Internet Options and click Delete Files.

2a. Start>Run>Regsvr32 vbscript.dll

2b. Start>Run>Regsvr32 jscript.dll

(WinXP users who have problems with 2a and 2b, see
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers_9.htm)

3. Re-register all DLLs listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

4. See also
Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
on This Page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306831
Scripting Errors When You View Web Pages in Internet Explorer after
Installing Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822521

5a. IE Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Browsing>Enable third-party browser
extensions (uncheck & reboot).

5b. Find the hijacker that caused 5a to be checked (or if none were checked,
check for hijackware anyway):

Dealing with Hijackware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

Thanks for the correction, Frank! :) Good info.

--

....Sky

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:

> Java and JavaScript are not related. Installing either the JavaVM or
> JavaJRE will not help JavaScript. Some firewalls or anti-virus programs
> have options to block JavaScript. .......

TRENDING THREADS