Sign in with
Your question

WoW

Last response: in Video Games
July 30, 2008 9:25:25 PM

So, I guess I waited... what, 2 years? to jump on the WoW bandwagon.

I went to install the latest ATI drivers this past week and low and behold... packaged w\ the drivers was a 10 day WoW trial.

it was funny yesterday when my wife said something like ''its good that after 10 days you wont have to play anymore'' LOL my silence in not knowing how to tell her that i'd already upgraded to a full account was pretty obvious to her!

So basically this thread is about WoW being uber addictive.

I have a level 13 human paladin and a level 14 night elf warrior

More about : wow

July 30, 2008 11:15:16 PM

just be careful, if you start to lose friends over it, miss social occaisions or work for it, stop and take a second look at what exactly you are doing (sorry for being preachy, I play AOC :p  and suspect I'm getting bored of it too.)
July 31, 2008 12:36:11 AM

MMORPGs are great fun in small doses! That's what you have to remember - limit yourself to 1 hour a day (Apart from Sundays :p  ) and make sure it doesn't interrupt your social life.

These kinda games should carry health warnings! :D 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 31, 2008 12:55:09 AM

WoW can be pretty fun at times, but it can also be incredibly tedious and boring. I just hit level 70 after probably 6+ months of very casual playing (and some bribery to get my cousin to level my character a bit while I'm at work).

Understand that it's meant to be a huge time sink. There's a reason why even at level 70, you've essentially just begun playing as you now have all the PvP gear to get, dailies, PvE raids, etc. They want you to keep subscribing, so maybe take a step back, spend a few less hours playing, or at least set goals for yourself during the day that you have to reach before you even open up the client like "I will do something that will contribute to my future success today". That could be learning something related to your profession, putting together your resume, going to class if you're still in school (and spending X amount of time studying), etc.

It's all how you balance it, and honestly sitting down and playing WoW for 8 hours straight is a lot more fun when you know you have zero obligations or responsibilities to take care of, as you've already gotten everything else out of the way.

Rules to Live by:
1. Never let a video game dictate when you're going to sleep if you have prior obligations the next day that would require you to be rested (i.e. working, driving for more than a few minutes, hanging out with friends/family).

2. Never open up a game when you still have things to take care of. The biggest mistake you can make when you're teetering between working and slacking off is opening up a game to play it "for a few minutes." If you have **** to do until 11pm, and you need sleep the next day, accept the fact that you won't get to play tonight, and you'll just have to wait until the weekend. The stress you will save yourself by doing this is well worth being a low level in a game that will be obsolete in a few years.

3. A moment enjoyed is not wasted. Inversely, a moment not enjoyed, and not essential to your future success and/or survival, is a complete and total waste. If you feel that spending 60 hours in Battlegrounds collecting marks is boring but the gear you're working for is totally worth it, more power to you. But consider the amount of time spent compared to what you're getting out of it. Games like WoW are all about the rush you get from a reward after hours and hours of tedious gameplay. Maybe it's better to play Counter-Strike or something for a couple hours instead, where you're having fun the entire time.

4. All Video Games die out eventually. You can't keep your character forever. You may get some satisfaction out of being a packrat and collecting every possible armor set, spending countless hours raiding, pvping, etc., but eventually you'll be bored of the game when no one else plays it.

5. Real Life > Virtual Life. If you have real life friends trying to get you to hang out and you're raiding at the same time, miss the raid. If your RL friends play wow, and they'll be raiding with you, then more power to you.

6. You have complete control over every decision you make. If you end up playing WoW until 5am and you're too tired to go to work, so you call in, and now you're stressed because you feel you've called in sick too often/you're out of sick hours, you have absolutely no one to blame but yourself. Sometimes people get into a self-destruct mode where they're so stressed they think "**** it, I didn't go into work 3 days this week, I should just stop going." You may **** up, but you can always play damage control, and when you're cleaning up a mess you've made it's always a great time for reflection.

That said I recommend finding some regular people to play with, because that's really what WoW is all about. I'll end up hanging out on vent talking to people in my guild (a few of them I've known for years when I used to go to LAN tournaments for CS and stuff) even when I'm not playing WoW or I'm busy working. You'll find that the social aspect is a lot more important than the mindless grinding/questing, so always put that as the priority. As always, have fun :) 
a b \ Driver
July 31, 2008 1:03:40 PM

+10 to Snap for the post.

About the only thing I can think of to add is if/when you Guild up, find a guild that works on YOUR schedule. The one I'm in now is nearly 100% working adults/military, many of whom are old enough to have kids in college. Kind of odd to be killing the raid boss of the day while discussing how to deal with insurance companies and whether or not to remortgage. Or having to take a break because a diaper needs changed, or supper needs to be made for people. But there you have it - we all have lives, and things to do, and we all know it.

The game *IS* designed to keep you playing for as many hours, and for as long a period of time as Blizzard can possibly manage. Be very aware of that, and join a guild that's aimed at conquering the whole game ONLY if you really can devote all your time towards that goal. Cos that's what it takes in terms of the game. Real Life seldom grants such space - Especially once you're grown up and married. That MUST come first.
July 31, 2008 3:05:16 PM

Wow can be addictive, but for now, nobody posted here one my level.

180 Days of /played* time in 2 years of playing. In one of my "toons".

Have fun with WoW, but don't get too near it. And Btw, now you wont find a good game in WoW, but a PVP/Arms Race. Perpetual Arms race. Sucks really. I left it off a bit after getting to 70. Done the Heroics and then just left.
They just made Wow addictive, not by quality of gaming, but by the greed of the player.

This is my toon, i dont play him for about a year now.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bladefist&n=Radnor

*/played:Effective time spent online.

EDIT: Just supporting scotteq statements. If you are married, kids, you got 2 choices. Or they start playing WoW, or you must leave it. You wont find time for Both. I hope you dont have a hard and troublesome job, or else, well, you shall see.

Another advice, dont take professions. If you do, go Mining / Skinning for gold.
July 31, 2008 4:36:21 PM

Blah. I think people or overblowing all the "dangers" of WoW. It's a game and people just have to realize that. Sure some people do make a problem out of it, but they usually already had their issues before playing WoW. The great thing about WoW is that you make what you want of it. If you just want to play for an hour or so and kill some boars or do some PvP you can have a blast doing so. If you want to spend all night raiding or grinding or what not you can do that to. The idea that WoW isn't a quality game, just an addictive one is absolutley stupid. There's so many different elements to the game that make it fun and well designed that I'm not even going to try and get into it. But lets say it wasn't a subscription based MMO, but instead a single or multiplayer (maybe only 2-16) RPG. It would still be a great game.
The one bit of advice that I will give to "protect" yourself against WoW is to never be afraid of canceling your account. That simply means stopping any recurring payments or not getting another game card. Your character will not go away and you can always come back later to play without losing a thing. I've never known of anyone having a frozen account deleted even after several months or a year+. Also I would suggest never paying for more than a month at a time. The few bucks you save isn't really worth it because what are the chances you'll be playing the game steady for 2, 3 or 6 months? If I ever had any issue with playing WoW it was never being compelled to play the game because I was addicted to it, but rather feeling like I should be playing because I was paying for it.
July 31, 2008 8:08:13 PM

well said purp

i like the auction system and the game in general...

i was let down earlier though because i spent around 45 minutes going back and forth doing a quest to get a weapon and then the weapon turns out to be the same as my current one except a little higher dmg per second.... and then i didn't equip it but it said i couldn't sell it at auction because it was soulbound... weak.

i would have done something else if i knew the sword wouldn't be that great.

i will keep that in mind that your charactor stays there... but idk yet, since i just started.
July 31, 2008 8:21:45 PM

Like I said that's what makes WoW such a great game. The general concept is pretty simple and easy to pick up. You don't have to be a hardcore gamer to get it. But there is always more to be learned and more in depth you can get if you want. I know a lot of people blame that as being part of the reason for addiction but I just see it as great game design to allow both the novice and the hardcore expert to each enjoy the game and each always have something to try and achieve. Thinking about it that way it kind of reminds me of golf.
August 1, 2008 11:02:42 AM

O M G. Stop playing MMOs that cost money.
August 1, 2008 1:22:20 PM

Alright, ill give some good advice how to have fun in WoW (your just entering) and not being addicted.

WoW is a very good game. Excelent game. But it is very addictive. You will never beat the game. No one can, because it is always evolving. You got a wife, kids, job i hope you head for a casual gaming. What is the rass/class that you are playing ?

Enjoy leveling.

Horde side

You will hate the Barrens and all the traveling. Class quests takes you around the word. You spend a lot of the time traveling and some quests are hard and fun. Most of them are kill/collet X items but i guess that is a problem with MMMORPGs. Enjoy the lore. WoW lore is excelent and read the books and quests you find a lot in the way. Horde lore is quite rich. Don't be afraid of taking the zeppelin and Silverpine/Tarren Mill for quests. It is just the way it is. Just don't tell me you did a blood elf paladin with a hentai haircut.

Alliance Side.

Questing is much more organized than Horde Side. Quests Hubs are better distributed and there are less dungeons. You wont travel as much, and you will find the world more simple. Rewards are fine, but forget gear for now. You will find a younger crowd of players Alliance Side. Somewhat more friendly and more childish at the same time. Make a Gnome Female with Pink Pigtails. It is way too much fun.

Gameplay

Do the dungeons while leveling, try not to skip. You will find less groups than i (i entered WoW in the first day of European launch), but will find groups anyway. Learn your class. if you are healer, heal in groups. If you do DPS (Damage per second) don't forget that CC (Crowd Control) is your best friend in groups. A good player that skillfully uses CC is remembered by the group. That will get you invited along the way. If you tank, well, good luck. It is hard to tank below lvl 15-20. You still don't have the skills/talents. there isn't much dungeons also below that level.

Again, well, i must refrain. Level at your pace, always check the lore because it is great. Mankriks Wife is in the south barrens in a abandoned hut at right of the road. Be good and gentle, and forget about gear. There is always great gear while you level. Don't pick manufacturing professions they are just a time sink. Go to mining/skinning or herbalism/skinning and sell them in AH or vendor. Do you class quests, they usually are a blast. Get First Aid. Even if you are a healing class, get First Aid. It is always important. Cooking/fishing aren't important and usually time sinks if you are not up to play endgame. Skip those 2.

The easiest leveling classes are:

Druid
Hunter
Paladin

The hardest leveling classes are:

Warrior
Shaman (no Crowd Control, totems are unreliable)

PVP.

Have fun in the battlegrounds.

Arathi Basin is great and usually takes 15 minutes games. It is a domination type of game 15vs15. Very fun, very fast game. I was completely burned by it but hey, it is still the best. Simple Lore in this one.

Warsong Gulch is a capture the flag type. That type of game doesn't belong to MMORPGs in my humble opinion. It can be fun with a good team, it can be endless with two horrible teams. It was the one i least enjoyed. A bit of lore in this one. 10vs10.

Alterac Valley is now a strange battleground. It is a PVE (Player-vs-Environment) race. You just rush to kill the two generals. Who kill them first wins. The rules have changed but the baseline is that. It was one of the best BGs. A game of Alterac could take up to 37 hours. Good old days i might add. It is fun in it current incarnation, fast and hard, but lost the feeling of epic battle that it once had. Great lore one this one. 40vs40.

Eye of the Storm is a made up Battleground. No lore. Just a mix of domination vs capture the flag. It is fun, but the fact it doesn't have decent lore supporting it loses points.

Game Mechanics are great and learn to play your class. Dont be afraid of rerolling (Roll another class/race combo) if you are not happy with it. Enjoy the game, the scenery, the socialization. When arriving to 70, just turn around and pick another game. Because the real timesink starts now. Have fun !!

@jonisginger: I don't mind paying a monthly fee if the company provides me with quality and new content. Blizzard as being doing that flawlessly for some years now. They do take sometime to patch things, but usually the result is good.
August 1, 2008 2:05:34 PM

WoW is an incredible game, but it changes peoples lives, and that's not an overblown statement.
August 1, 2008 2:20:58 PM

Quote:
O M G. Stop playing MMOs that cost money.

How long did it take you to come up with that oh-so original gem of wisdom? What's really worse though, somebody who is willing to pay a small fee to do something they like or somebody who trolls on line forums for threads about games they don't even like?
August 1, 2008 3:14:09 PM

lol.

I stayed away from wow when it came out because of having to pay to play... but basically i got a 10 day trial and then paid $20 for 'activation' followed by a free month. So basically I'm getting 40 days.... well over 50 hours by the time i'm done of gameplay for $20.

i bought crysis for $40+ tax and played for maybe 6 hours... big waste.

at this point i can't say how long i will play. played from like 7:30 last night until 11:30 or 12 w\ small breaks to fold laundry

i'm going back and forth between 2 players... i dunno if this is the best thing to do but i didn't want the time i spent on the first charactor to goto waste.
August 1, 2008 8:09:02 PM

It's the opposite for me, I'm kinda losing interest in the game... probably understandable though, as I have over 1500 hours invested :( 
August 1, 2008 8:24:13 PM

Sikaris said:
It's the opposite for me, I'm kinda losing interest in the game... probably understandable though, as I have over 1500 hours invested :( 

Leave while your at it. I have friends that already passed the 300 days /played mark. That is 7200 hours. To who says this games isnt a addiction, well, i guess it wasnt for them, but alo of them i know still play a enormous amount of time.

It is probably the best game i ever played. But im glad i dont want to play it no more :) 

Waiting for Diablo III !!! ehhehe
August 1, 2008 8:25:13 PM

Browser just went fubar. Sorry about the double post.
August 3, 2008 2:23:47 AM

I was once addicted to wow, but i gave it up after like 1 year, i played my account for 6 months then sold it, then i quit for 6 months, then played a new account for 6 months and then i sold it.

WoW sucks balls and is studidly addictive.

Heck the only way id play again is to make a buisiness from it: IE i would get a bot to lvl my charecters to max lvl while i was at work or having a real life and then i would sell the account:) 

Heck i have made $500.00 already, and i know that the money i made does not equal the time i played, but like i said, if i get a bot i wouldnt have to play the darn game and i could make money while i was making money at my job:)  LMFAO:p 
August 3, 2008 8:50:28 PM

Here's the secret. Play WoW if you find it fun, dont if you dont. I've found the only thing that keeps me going in WoW at times is the social aspect of the game
August 4, 2008 7:54:28 PM

its just so massive...

i helped somebody more nub then me last night to get to this one area i'd never been to before...

needless to say I probably put in over 8 hours yesterday : X

I was going to stop at 10pm and do some work i needed done.... but then all of a sudden it was 1:15 am and i was still grinding away.
August 6, 2008 10:39:10 AM

yes the learning part of the game was probably the most fun for me. played for a while and had 4 level 70s when i quit a few months ago. The major down side if you have an account with a 70 is that as soon as the WOTLK comes out all the gear you have spent AGES getting will be useless!

If you can just play an hour or tweo here and there its great but i couldnt help but spend huge amounts of time on it.

and to the guy that said "stop playing games that cost money to play". WOW is probably the BEST way to save money there is! for ages i have not needed and consoles or new games so rather than going through a game or two per month the 7 quid or so is a bargain per month not to mention the nights you will not need to go spend money because you want to stay in and raid etc.

Have fun but dont get addicted!
August 6, 2008 8:17:10 PM

By all means get addicted, hit level 70, pub Kara, Gruls, Mags and join my raiding guild. LOL

I love WoW, I met my wife playing the game (plus many good friends). It can be addicting initially.

I have the following:

Main
Level 70 Nightelf Druid - Resto - SSC and TK geared (Badge gear also)
Alt
Level 70 Dwarf Hunter - Survival - Merc Glad Gear and TK and SCC (Mix and Match)
Next
Level 51 Human Mage - Frost - My next creation
Scraps
and a whole bunch of level 20s or so that I gave up on.

Anyways enjoy it is a great game just don't over do it.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 6, 2008 9:13:27 PM

wtw... can't imagine spending that long on a game...

the longest i've ever spent on a game is maybe 200 hours... and thats a lot longer than the average game
August 6, 2008 9:38:48 PM

Thats beause it is a MMORPG and its HUGE, there are so many things to do and collect, its overwhellming. THEN ZOMG theres another expansion and achievments LOL.
August 7, 2008 10:11:08 AM

my main was a lock with s3 pvp gear and t5/t6 raiding gear. 197 days played when i left. miss her and my nelf rogue the most :( 

its incredible the amount of people i have heard of that met their friends or partners through wow. would have been laughed at years ago but its such a powerful social tool its good to see. wow is part of reason me and my ex broke up so not quite so good there. lol. quite glad she didnt like it really thought otherwise i think we would have been on the 24/7 and i think i was playing it enough for the both of us anyway!

great game but r.i.p WoW for me
August 7, 2008 5:42:09 PM

It's good that she likes video games in general. That way she is not getting on my case about playing them so much, she just plays with me.

BTW any going to BLIZZCON????????
August 7, 2008 6:59:59 PM

RADIO_ACTIVE said:
It's good that she likes video games in general. That way she is not getting on my case about playing them so much, she just plays with me.

BTW any going to BLIZZCON????????

ill be there with forum user hallubalooza and my 2 cousins.
August 7, 2008 7:18:30 PM

Nice I'm still trying to work it out. I hope I am able to go.
August 7, 2008 8:53:33 PM

i was thinking of doing a vpn connection to my computer at home so i can play wow while i'm at work. thats probably not the best idea though.

my wife isn't so interested in wow... and im not sure if she likes falling asleep on the couch while i'm playing.
August 8, 2008 1:13:49 AM

WoW, i dont see how its soo addicting. I leveled till 50, quitted like every other rpgs/mmorg.
I played runescape, Maplestory, Flyff,WoW, all the famous ones you know. I quitted all of em sooner or later. WoW was my last. After one year, 60$, it was fun and all, but i wondered, what the heck is the point of this? Your just gonna waste money and level, then when you level all your going to want is new stuff. Pretty repetitive. Every game is, but theyre alll for lesiure right?
August 8, 2008 8:52:09 AM

It's addictive because it's designed to be. It appeals to the competitive (PVP), gamers that crave a challenge (Raids, the continual addition of something bigger and badder to challenge you further, solo gameplay), people who like to feel they have acheived something (quest rewards, titles, etc), people that like to explore new areas, people that like customising their character with gear/specs/etc and it even has an element of social interaction. There's something there for pretty much any type of gamer.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's perfect, or the best game ever, I'm just stating my opinion on why I think so many people enjoy it and become addicted. I was an addict myself a while back and the whole PVP rank system destroyed my social life completely. I was PVPing pretty much every second that I wasn't sleeping, all the while aiming for Grand Marshal. The week after I reached Marshal my net goes down for 9 days which gave me time to think. What was the point in putting that much effort into attaining a rank and getting the gear that came with it? Shortly after the net came back up I quit the game and managed to get my normal life back. 6 months later, the expansion comes out and being curious about all the new content and wanting to see what my character will be able to do, I start up again. It's fun. There's some interesting new areas, quest, etc, I especially liked the addition of bombing runs. There's a difference now though. I don't feel the need to play anymore. I log on when I want to. If the game starts to get stale and feels like a grind, I stop until something new comes out.

I've just got back from a 6 month break (ran out of other games I wanted to play) and while there's more content, it's not really that much. So I'm levelling a new character that's completely different from my main. It's a nice new experience and a different way of playing which gives things a different feel and prevents boredom setting in. Looking forward to the expansion and definately the Death Knight. It should be fun exploring the new continent, learning a new class and seeing all the little additions, but it will eventually get to the point where it becomes a boring, stale, grindfest again. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it up that that point and then stop playing though.

As someone said earlier, only play it if you find it fun. If it feels like work, you start to prioritsie it over your real life or you find yourself getting stressed about something trivial in game, then you're taking it far too seriously and should really ask yourself why you even bother playing.
August 8, 2008 9:29:46 AM

In my opinion - Wow is the devil. It is SATAN INCARNATE. Yes, yes this is a negative, horrific trolling post but it can be substantiated by my immense real life hatred for what it is capable of doing to a person with an addictive personality.

Here goes...
About 2-3 years ago my cousin bought me WOW for xmas. I played for a few of the 10 free days and then just got over the monotony of the game at about lvl 18 ( dwarf hunter ). At the time i was living with my older brother ( 1 year older ). Now, he already had huge issues when he used to play Halo2 on xbox like the posessed. I came home one day and he was playing a new character with the few remaining free days i had left on the account. That was it. That was the Nadir right there - the point of no return which i remember distinctly.

In a matter of days his entire personality changed. He would get emotionally angry when i asked him to get off my PC. He just played and played and played. He activated and bought a subscription. We shared a room and i eventually lost it after being kept up for about 8 days straight cause he was tapping and clicking away about 2 feet from my bed deep into the early hours. He went out and bought a new PC ( he is a noob so it was a piece of **** PC ). I think he kind of had it under control until we moved to a new house - got better broadband, and the ultimate evil happened : he joined this very involved guild.

It basically snowballed from there; hectically. He STOPPED seeing friends. Stopped calling them. Stopped answering his or the house phone. Stopped opening mail. Eventually just turned his phone off permanently so that his friends, angry boss, girlfriend and creditors. ( he has a pretty lively social life before this and was always out and playing poker or boozing or away or with his g/f ). He also just ended it with his g/f one day. Sent her a text "Its over. Dont call me". She was distraught and tried to get me to get hold of him for ages. He was oblivious.

He was promoted to guild leader of his guild called Order In Chaos. Thats when it got out of control. I just heard arguining and shouting and talking in his room on vent ALL DAY AND NIGHT. Didnt sound like fun - sounded like hard, soulless, empty work.

He started pulling a sickie about every other day. Eventually he pleaded some rubbish illness to his work and negotiated a package where he only had to work about 3 days a week ( he was a car salesman/dealer/financer etc for a very large company in london ).

The lying and general unreliability became excessive too. Just blatant lies to my face. Now keep in mind it was just the 2 of us in this big house. He stopped caring about hygene or food. He never ONCE cooked food in the kitchen. He started living off of pizza, coke and redbull. Stopped showering/shaving/brushing teeth. His room became a cesspit of old pizza boxes, dirty clothes and 2lt coke bottles. It actually got so funky that it would waft out of his room and offend anyone who got close. He never left his room. He never went into the TV lounge. Never touched or looked at his PS2 or xbox at all. Never cleaned the house or helped out. Not a dish, cup - anything.

My parents couldnt get a hold of him and he just didnt care. Never phoned them or gave a crap when my moms mom died or my dads dad passed away either. Didnt phone/email/text to give his condolences. Stopped being human basically.

We lived there for 1.5 yrs until i just quietly left one saturday and moved in with my mate. That was 6 months ago. I havent heard from him. Not once. He owes me about, and i **** you not, £3000. I bailed him out of so much ****. Thats when i started just owning all the bills and house management at that point. Ill never see that money again. The arguments we had were absolutely mind blowing. There were times I could have just murdered him. He was so tired all the time and when we got into it he was soooooooooo venemous and full of hatred it was incredible. You just cannot speak to someone when they are involved in WOW. They just nod and agree so that you will go away.

So - there you have it. I have disowned my brother - the rift between us is so great that even when he wakes up and realises that he has lost 2 yrs of his life to a mind numbing virtual game, the things that have been said and the hurt caused are too great. I too am a PC gamer but WOW has been engineered to just suck you in for hours at a time.
Its an amazing game, socially and gameplay wise. But its just too much for some people to handle. They cant juggle the toss up between real life and a virtual world.

So forgive me if I absolutely hate WOW and everything it stands for.
August 8, 2008 12:36:01 PM

It's not the game, you guys just have self control issues.

Played for 3 months bored after the first 1.5 months quit no withdralw systems or anything.
August 8, 2008 1:18:15 PM

Quote:
Now, he already had huge issues when he used to play Halo2 on xbox like the posessed.

It sounds like your brother has issues, not the games. It might be hard for him to realize that, but as a family member do him a favor and stop blaming the games.
August 8, 2008 1:51:29 PM

I stopped blaming the games ages ago. Doesnt prevent me from directing my anger at it. Its such a perfect escapism tool.
My statement is justified by the sheer amount of people who have experienced a similar addiction to WOW.

Find another game that does this with the same or better magnitude.
Apart from Starcraft when it came out. Even then nothing nearly on WoWs level.

And purplerat - I was not saying that my ex brother was blameless. Its pretty clear he has addiction and time/priority management issues :) 
Im blaming WOW for being the vessel to excasserbate the situation.

@ ByDesign. Thank you so kindly for your heartfelt input. You must be a special gaming hero.
August 8, 2008 2:18:01 PM

Quote:
Find another game that does this with the same or better magnitude.

You're not going to find another game because there is no other game which compares to WoW in both game type and magnitude. The problems that people attribute to the game are a product of the games success, not the other way around. WoW is some evil game that steals peoples souls. It's probably just the most successful game of all time and there are a lot of people who can't control they're use of video games in general, so of course the top dog gets the blame.
August 8, 2008 6:23:21 PM

DannyBoy27 said:
words...

Sorry to hear about your brother. Unfortunately in most situations when someone gets too deeply involved in games, substance abuse, or really any other hobbies that are an alternative to reality, it's whatever they were doing that takes the blame rather than the individual who has an obvious lack of self control as well as other issues.
August 8, 2008 6:30:27 PM

Damnit Oh Snap! Don't make me agree with you! It's all your fault!
August 8, 2008 10:45:28 PM

Oh Snap said:
Sorry to hear about your brother. Unfortunately in most situations when someone gets too deeply involved in games, substance abuse, or really any other hobbies that are an alternative to reality, it's whatever they were doing that takes the blame rather than the individual who has an obvious lack of self control as well as other issues.

Agreed,

You cannot be more right. Whos fault is it really. You see the biggest example of this is with violence and video games.
August 9, 2008 8:43:16 AM

sorry to hear all that stuff with your brother. sounds like a pretty bad addiction.

it seems to effect some people worse than others. I know my ex and I would have arguements over it which now ive quit seems stupid.

The moment that made me quit was when I heard my guild in teamspeak moaning about the guild leader and he had sneaked in and started listening. they went on for ages and i was just listening while grinding. after 20 mins or so i left teamspeak then went off to do somethign else.

I went on teamspeak later and wow 4 hours later and they were still discussing the future of the guild and several grown men were having a serious conversation about it.

I felt soooo stupid. i thought, these are people that talk more online with guildies than their families! and for what? nothing! blizzard even states that the only thing you own is the time palying the game. THEY OWN THE CHARACTERS! so i quit. no more accoutn and uninstalled wow and now im glad! been doing things that i put off before and i have lots more spare time!

if you can play it responsibly then its a great game but some people just cant. still good game though
August 11, 2008 2:31:15 PM

Thanks for the condolences. Wasnt really looking for pity. I get enough pity from my g/f and plus i have a wonderful sister who pawns grown gaming men at CS:S :)  So - i'll live.

I just wanted to paint a sad and depressing picture of an addicted gamer. Because so many people claim that it isnt asa extreme as most people claim. The fact that I had to live through it just opened my eyes a little i would say.

And agreed delsaber, playing responibly makes all the difference.
Sitting down for a good gaming session when you know that you have "earned" it and you have no urgent responsibilites hanging over you just makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable!
August 11, 2008 2:40:31 PM

well i was self employed working from home at the time. lets just say im back to being employed now. lol

i was readng the tech board on msn website which was talking about the same subject. its incredible to read some peoples stories.

a few wives were on there that had divorced their husbands because of it. Even a husband who had divorced his wife because she was too addicted!!

its quite scary to read. i just hope there wont ever be a game that captures even more addicts than wow. it will start being up there with the other addictions. lol. someones even died from playing it for 6 days straight without drink or food but thats a pretty extreme example
August 11, 2008 3:50:24 PM

Quote:
a few wives were on there that had divorced their husbands because of it. Even a husband who had divorced his wife because she was too addicted!!

its quite scary to read. i just hope there wont ever be a game that captures even more addicts than wow. it will start being up there with the other addictions. lol. someones even died from playing it for 6 days straight without drink or food but thats a pretty extreme example

First of all there isn't/won't be anytime soon another game that "captures more addicts than WoW" because there's no game with as large a player base. It's no more significantly addictive than any other unending game. That includes other MMOs, non-linear RPGs, online shooters, sports games, poker etc. WoW just gets all the heat because it's the biggest/most popular.
As far as breaking up marriages I doubt any real percentage of those cases were truly or even partially caused by playing WoW. As somebody finally nearing the end of the divorce process I can honestly say that just about everything and anything is thrown into the blame game of a messy marital breakup. But in most cases it's all just the result of a generally **** relationship. More likely it is that said husbands/wives use WoW as just another escape mechanism to avoid dealing with their spouse. God knows I had quite a few of those :) 
And as far as people dying from playing these games, it really has nothing to do with the game either. There have been similar cases of men dying from overworking in Japan recently. I'm not really sure what it is, but there seems to be some weird cultural thing were people in these countries take pride in working themselves literally to death, whether it be in the factory or in front of a game.

I really hate how people try to demonize a game like this. Honestly what does the game do to harm people? There's nothing more than anecdotal stories of people harming themselves supposedly by overplaying. Calling the game Satan or blaming it for failed marriages just further reinforces the idea that games are bad even to the point of being harmful. There's already a sizeable movement to further regulate video games as some sort of a deviant form of entertainment (btw I live in NY). Right now it may be mostly focused on violence and sex, but anti-MMO movements are on the rise. Even if you are not in favor of banning or regulating these games you should still be careful of furthering perceptions used to do exactly that. Most real gamers do not buy this addiction theory, but then again they're not the ones making these laws. The stories of failed marriages, lost jobs and even deaths catch on a lot better with those who are already looking for a cause to rally against and don't really care to understand the issue.
August 11, 2008 7:13:52 PM

"a few wives were on there that had divorced their husbands because of it. Even a husband who had divorced his wife because she was too addicted!! "

i think almost every night since i started playing wow, has ended w\ me having to wake my wife up from the couch to come to bed....

i'm lvl 26 ! rawwwwwr.

i could nominate it for best game ever just because its so massive... when i get pwn'd by some horde player who is 50 levels ahead of me i just kinda think of how someday i could be that douche-bag.... killing lower level players in one hit....

i've never seen a horde player with a level anywhere close to mine; i was wondering if people lvl up on non pvp server then move to pvp server?
August 11, 2008 7:37:02 PM

Quote:
i could nominate it for best game ever just because its so massive... when i get pwn'd by some horde player who is 50 levels ahead of me i just kinda think of how someday i could be that douche-bag.... killing lower level players in one hit....

i've never seen a horde player with a level anywhere close to mine; i was wondering if people lvl up on non pvp server then move to pvp server?

No, you can't switch from PVE to PVP. You might just be on a mature server (in terms of how long people have been playing on it, not the actual maturity level of players). Also the game has been tweeked to allow faster leveling since the announcement of the next expansion. A new player like yourself will not level as fast, where as experianced players can blow through the first 60 levels in no time. That's what I did with my last character. I'd sold my last account and wanted to start playing again. With my experience playing the hunter class, knowing the horde quests and having several 70 friends I was able to go 1-60 in less than 4 weeks without having any all day/night marathons.

And yes kill low level charcters can be tons of fun. Especially those 50s who like to beat up on real low level characters. Wiping out a questing group of ~50s is great. They always try to come back for more thinking they can out number you.
August 12, 2008 3:14:11 PM

night before last there was an invasion in stormwind LOL

this one horde stunned me or something and then i followed this lvl 70 alliance guy who seemed to be chasing the whore'd and then i got fragged out of nowhere... then first respawn i went toward the tower and there were dead bodies everywhere and the stormwind keep was just filled with horde... i tried reviving a lvl 70 guy and then this big horde guy chased me down and killed me.

i love teh auction system though, i'm starting to make pretty good gold. I need to get pricing down because i think some things i sell too cheap and others i try selling for too much....

i sold a some wool in a matter of minutes for like 75 s, so then put more up at 1g 25s and both bundles sold right away too... i probably made about 8-10g yesterday at auction.
August 12, 2008 4:18:23 PM

itadakimasu said:
night before last there was an invasion in stormwind LOL

this one horde stunned me or something and then i followed this lvl 70 alliance guy who seemed to be chasing the whore'd and then i got fragged out of nowhere... then first respawn i went toward the tower and there were dead bodies everywhere and the stormwind keep was just filled with horde... i tried reviving a lvl 70 guy and then this big horde guy chased me down and killed me.

i love teh auction system though, i'm starting to make pretty good gold. I need to get pricing down because i think some things i sell too cheap and others i try selling for too much....

i sold a some wool in a matter of minutes for like 75 s, so then put more up at 1g 25s and both bundles sold right away too... i probably made about 8-10g yesterday at auction.

Get Auctioneer. And Wardrobe mod. and Titan Panel. And off you go !!!
August 12, 2008 8:27:07 PM

Purp, you need to stop being such a fanboy and defending WoW like people are attacking a family member. DannyBoy told a story about his brother, he wasn't attacking your beloved WoW. There are tons of stories about people who get hooked in that stupid POS game. I was one of them. I quit after about a year. It's not until you quit that you realize all of the things that you missed while you played. Just because your girlfriend plays with you (no pun), doesn't mean you aren't (double-negative) missing awesome things happening in real life. You sound like a person desperate to justify wasting your life in a game.

Chris
August 12, 2008 8:54:12 PM

Quote:
Purp, you need to stop being such a fanboy and defending WoW like people are attacking a family member. DannyBoy told a story about his brother, he wasn't attacking your beloved WoW.

It has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". Even if it were a game that I had no interest in I would still be sick of hearing people blame their problems on a friggin piece of software. I've hardly ever played any GTA game, but I don't buy people saying it makes them act violently. I also don't listen heavy metal I get sick of hearing people same it turns it's fans into satanist. I just get sick of hearing people not take personal responsability. If you can't do anything other than play a game go seek mental help. If your husband would rather play a game than talk to you go see a marriage counsler. Making statements like
Quote:
In my opinion - Wow is the devil. It is SATAN INCARNATE

is just plain asinine. As to my own WoW playing habits or "fanboy-ness", I've never kept my account active for more than 3 months in the almost 3 years I've been playing. When I play it I don't play any more than I would a game like Madden. Yeah I think it's a fun game and I don't want other people telling me I can't enjoy it - much like the govt tells me I can't do so many other enjoyable things because some people can't control themselves *cough* pot *cough-cough* gambling *cough*. Even if you're not necessarily saying the game should be banned, spreading the idea that a game can control people's behavoir plays right into the hands of those who want to do just that.
Now if you want to tell me WoW is a POS game because you don't like the graphics, combat mechanisms, playstyle or whatever I really could give a damn.
August 12, 2008 9:19:07 PM

Before WoW, the same stories were around about Everquest. I've known people who've done the whole divorce and losing jobs over Lineage 2, a grindfest I can't stand to play.

It's not the game, it's the need/desire to escape from their reality. If a marriage ends due to it, it was obviously bad initially if one or the other needed to escape the situation, even if just mentally/emotionally.

If not a game, it'd be something else. I've spent ridiculous numbers of hours raiding in a few games, but then again, I've also spent entire weeks drunk back when that was my escape mechanism. As those things go, games aren't as destructive as some others, but they're also so innocuous that perhaps serious issues go unnoticed.

If a drug addict gets too out of hand, everybody sees it and may try to intervene before they harm themselves. If a game addict gets too involved.. they're just a jerk since they no longer interact with people around them.

Truly addictive personalities don't rely on any one obsession, anything will do.
!