ASUS P4PE/GBL or GigaByte GA-8PE667 Ultra 2?

WxNemesis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Which one do you recommend and why? I've heard quite a bit about the ASUS but not the GigaByte. I've looked at the data for the Ultra compared to the Ultra 2 and didn't see any difference (maybe I didn't look hard enough).

I know THG recommends the ASUS but the review didn't include the Ultra 2 version of the GigaByte board.

Thanks.

My other computer is a Cray...

Steve_in_VA

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Compared to the Ultra, the Ultra 2 adds a few goodies: serial ATA and gigabit LAN. I think that's the only difference - not worth the price difference IMHO. Gigabyte may be phasing out the Ultra; I just bought one for less than $100 from Outpost.com. I plan to install it this weekend. To me the main advantage compared to the Asus board is the presence of two IDE raid channels. The Asus board's Promise controller has one IDE channel and two serial ATA channels. To set up a raid array you need at least one SATA drive or a SATA to IDE converter.

WxNemesis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Thanks. I guess the cheapest one wins since raid isn't a big deal to me. So I guess reliability is the same with both boards?

* Edit *

Asus it is! Only $4 cheaper but every dollar counts! Actually all the reviews said the Asus was the best one for the money/features so went with it.

Kind of wish the PCB was a nice BLUE like the GigaByte one. It would have gone with my system theme a lot better.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WxNemesis on 01/24/03 02:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>