How to connect 2 Wired Networks

I have 2 wired networks at home: 1 in the basement that connects to
the Internet via a Cable Modem; 1 on the 3rd floor where a number of
desktops are wired.

I want the computers on the 3rd floor to use the Internet connection
in the basement. I bought 2 wireless routers, USR8054, but have no
idea of what to configure them to achieve the goal.

Does anybody have some experience how to do this? Or, I need to
purchase more hardware? Btw, I have 2 wired routers as well. Any input
will be highly appreciated!

Peter
5 answers Last reply
More about connect wired networks

    Peter Wu wrote:

    > I have 2 wired networks at home: 1 in the basement that connects to
    > the Internet via a Cable Modem; 1 on the 3rd floor where a number of
    > desktops are wired.
    >
    > I want the computers on the 3rd floor to use the Internet connection
    > in the basement. I bought 2 wireless routers, USR8054, but have no
    > idea of what to configure them to achieve the goal.
    >
    > Does anybody have some experience how to do this? Or, I need to
    > purchase more hardware? Btw, I have 2 wired routers as well. Any input
    > will be highly appreciated!
    >

    > Peter

    What's the two of everything for?

    You're best solution is to make the wired router the gateway device and
    configure the wireless router to be an access point switch. That way, the
    wired and wireless will use the same gateway device and if done properly,
    all machines should be able to share resources between each other too.

    The Linksys link gives a good working model, even though it's referring to
    two wireless routers. You'll set the Device IP of the wireless routers to
    one of the static IP(s) on the wired router with Subnet IP(s) the same so
    that machines connected to both devices can see each other.

    http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Connecting two WRT54G
    routers together.asp

    Duane :)

    "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:

    [snip]

    > I don't see that the USR8054 can behave like a wireless Ethernet bridge,
    > which is what you need on the 3rd floor. You'll need an AP or an actual
    > wireless Ethernet bridge device there. The wireless router and the
    wireless
    > Ethernet bridge need to be the same brand, since there is not yet a
    standard
    > for Wireless Distribution System.

    The USR8054 can be configured as an AP. But what should I do to achieve this
    goal?

    Peter

    > The USR8054 can be configured as an AP. But what should I do to achieve
    > this goal?
    >
    > Peter Realizing this is my 1st post...bump, because I'm looking for the
    answer to this myself.

    Peter: have you found your answer? I'm looking for specific USR8054
    configuration settings to use it as an access point. Please see
    '_here_' (http://rachus.home.insightbb.com/pages/net_topo.JPG) for my
    network.

    After trying some typical configurations, my questions are:

    - Do I need to set up static routes on the USR8054?
    - ...or set up port forwarding?
    - I'm using the wireless side of the USR8054 to route wireless
    traffic to the Internet gateway router (the Linksys), can I also use
    wireless cards in computers on it's side of the network? As you see
    I'm using a 802.11b connection to the Linksys, can I use 802.11g on
    the USR8054 for NIC's on that side of the network?) -- -long shot, I
    know-.
    Thanks for reading!

    --
    rachus

    Thanks Airhead, but the two routers cannot be connected via a cable,
    they are approximately 200 meters apart (using external antennas)....

    I think I've found the answer, and it is not good....

    http://www.usr.com/support/8054/8054-ug/three.html#Wirelesssection

    "For *AP Only*, you can select either *Enable* or *Disable*.
    If you select Enable, only the wireless functionality of the Wireless
    Turbo Access Point & Router will be active. The wired
    functionality will not be active. This is set to Disable by
    default."

    I'm disappointed in USR's misuse of the phrase "Access Point". See
    Webopedia's 'definition' (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/AP.html). ''

    "rachus" <rachus.1gwftm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message

    > Thanks Airhead, but the two routers cannot be connected via a cable,
    > they are approximately 200 meters apart (using external
    antennas)....

    > I think I've found the answer, and it is not good....
    >

    > http://www.usr.com/support/8054/8054-ug/three.html#Wirelesssection
    >
    > "For *AP Only*, you can select either *Enable* or *Disable*.
    > If you select Enable, only the wireless functionality of the
    Wireless
    > Turbo Access Point & Router will be active. The wired
    > functionality will not be active. This is set to Disable by
    > default."
    >
    > I'm disappointed in USR's misuse of the phrase "Access Point". See
    > Webopedia's 'definition' (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/AP.html).
    ''
    > (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/AP.html)
    >

    > --
    > rachus
    > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

    Even if you set the USR to AP only it still wont talk to the Linksys.
    You need to get a Bridge or an AP that will run in client mode or a
    repeater to talk to the linksys.
    You can use the USR wirlessly and router but you need to hook a bridge
    on it (on a different channel) and configure it
    to talk to the Linksys. You should probably get a linksys bridge just
    to be sure of compatability.

Connection Internet Wireless Networking