Keyboard problem with games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akarainer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I... have no clue what's causing this but...
Basically whenever i play counterstrike or some first person shooter game that requires strifing from side to side, the keyboard.. or something in the computer is causing my "in-game" person to keep strifing one direction for about 2-3 secs and the it stops.
SO i'm wondering if anyone else has these problems. Any advice on how to fix it would be nice.
I have a pretty good gaming desktop, so i doubt its lag or anything. It might be memory wise... but i'm not quite sure...
It could the keyboard...(i have a wireless) but i also tried a regular keyboard (ones you get from purchasing desktops) where it's wired instead of wireless..
And it still has the same effect. SO... It might be because all of the keyboards arent responding fast enough to the games? (i don't know) IS there something like Response time for keyboards? Like there is for mouses, because then that would make a lot of sense. And then i would need a gaming keyboard. But... Iono.. i remember playing counterstrike on my friends old computer, and he had a old keyboard also and he didn't have the same problem.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
There should be no modern keyboards with a 2-3 second response time! Make sure you are trying different ports, could be a problem with a specific port. If the memory was causing keyboard lag, i think you'd notice some severe stuttering in games, so i highly doubt that's what's causing you trouble.

Does this strafing problem always occur when you try to strafe, or is it intermittent?

akarainer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
well the thing is that since this wireless keyboard uses a receptor that connects to the USB, and the wired keyboard i tried out is a PS2 plug one... I doubt it's a problem of ports.

The occurance... is i guess intermittent, except I can kinda tell when it will happen. It usually occurs when i'm pressing more than one button or 2 buttons down, also i think it matters if there's a lot of things running at the same time.

For example: (In game) If i'm walking (holding down shift) and i'm moving forward (holding down w) then i see someone and i start to shoot (right click, but i doubt the mouse matters) and i also start to move to the right (holding down d).

In this case.... not 100% but probably.. 25% of the time it would "lock up" and strife to the certain direction i'm moving at.

akarainer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I doubt it... but just in case i'll check. Where would i find that settings file?
I have vista 64-bit and.. i can't seem to find it.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Start => Control Panel => Ease of Access => 'Change how your keyboard works' or, if you're using classic view, 'Make the keyboard easier to use'

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Also a lot of keyboards have a "max key press limit" and stop responding for a while if that limit is reached. On my old keyboard forward/back + strafe + reload will cause a hang like your discribing.

akarainer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Nope. My keyboard isn't Sticky Key enabled.
Um.. If that's the case about the "max key press limit", then... is there a way for me to find out if my keyboard have that spec? And how do you know keyboards have that 0.o? Is it described somewhere when you purchase it?

elijahkan8

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
I too am having this problem, its very annoying and i think it may be a problem with the cpu. I also have a hunch that you might need to install/update the drivers for the keyboard/mouse.

G

i am also having this problem with my wireless logitech keyboard and i checkd my sticky keys and i am wondering how i could change the "max pressing limit on my keyboard"

madcow9597

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Same here. I have a microsoft wireless keyboard 6000. I am playing the new quakeonline and it constantly happens. It does happen more when I press three keys or more at the same time. If I hold down the W to go foward and hold it long enough it happens. It may have something to do with some buffer or something. I am not sure. My logitech wireless keyboard does not have this issue. That keyboard is at home. This is my work PC that has the microsoft keyboard. Logitech makes the best keyboards and mice.

jumpa

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Mocrosoft wireless keyboard / mouse here similar problem when im walking in army or left4dead my guy will take 2/3 steps then stop I can not run . This is very frustrating and makes my games un playable I bought this set up for freedom of mobility ..BOY DID I GET PWWWWNNNNED any ideas how to fix this isxsue

jumpa

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Did you ever fix this problem I have the same problem

G

I found this old post while searching the Web...

So, I also have a similar problem, but it's a bit weirder : My new Razer "special anti-ghosting keys" works perfectly under Windows (no special configuration required), but I've got the same problem under Linux : in all games, in-game character keeps strafing when I release the strafe left or right key

I tried different settings, different linux "drivers" (mouse/evdev), but hadn't found the problem origin...

Could this behaviour be generated by the "anti-ghosting keys" feature of the keyboard, not well supported/recognized by linux ?

G

My problem is similar to everyone elses here. I bought this game Battlefield 2 for pc. And when i hold W to walk forward. And then i let go to stop walking,my caracter keeps walking for like 2-6 secs after i let go and the worse part is, i can't shoot (clicking the mouse) or duck (ctrl) or anything until it stops walking. And even when i hold D (to go to the right) same thing, it takes 2-6 secs after i let go and i can't use any other button. I also recently notice, my keyboard lags for other online games too and for internet things every once in a while.

G

I installed a mircrosoft wireless keykboard and mouse a few weeks ago and Its been fine until last weekend when I too noticed a really lagged response with the mouse and the same thing with the keyboard, running with a charater and he would stop for a second or two and then i would hit the run button and the same. Earlier in the day I was working on a network wireless camara, It was plugged into my wirless router and was sitting like 2 feet from my keyboard and mouse. It somehow caused interference with my keyboard and mouse, being that its wireless it might have been using the same signal. Once we removed the camara the keyboard and mouse worked fine again. If you have a wireless router close to your keyboard and mouse try moving it away and see if that dosen't fix your problem

Status
Not open for further replies.