Gateway 6400/Asus CURDLS

Westwood

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Hello,

We have a couple Gaetway 6400 servers that have ASUS CURDLS motherboards (with the ServerWorks III chipset i believe). We are looking to upgrade the processors but I am having trouble finding any doc on exactly which Pent III processors are supported. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dang, are all Asus's sites down? Anyway, the board supports Coppermine core CPU's. Since it supports 133MHz FSB, it supports ALL Coppermine core CPU's. I'd suggest a couple PIII 1000EB's, retail boxed. Now, you'll know that they are 1000EB's if they have a 133MHz bus and are not Tualatin. And you'll know they are not Tualatin if they have voltages between 1.65v and 1.75v. Many places refer to Tualatin CPU's as FC-PGA2, but I have a Coppermine core CPU that says FC-PGA2 on the box, becuase it has a heat spreader like the Tualatin.

Anyway, if it says .13 micron, or Tualatin, don't get it. I'm not certain if Upgradware's Tualatin adapter even supports dual CPU's.

You could verify that of course. Tualatin CPU's with 512k cache are SMP compatable. So if Upgradeware promisses you SMP compatability, you could get two 1.4GHz PIII's. That would be a great settup of course! But without Tualatin adapters that support SMP, you're back to the Coppermine core PIII 1000EB.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>