Extend Wireless range

I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
losing the signal.
I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
not.
I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
Any suggestions?? or comments....
The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
walls in between.
Thanks for all help/suggestions provided
4 answers Last reply
More about extend wireless range

    rbeidas,

    I'm looking at the same option. However, in reading the info, Linksys
    says their WRE54G will not work with any other brand router.

    Scott

    rbeidas wrote:

    > I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
    > wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
    > I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
    > access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
    > losing the signal.
    > I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
    > that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
    > not.
    > I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
    > will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
    > Any suggestions?? or comments....
    > The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
    > walls in between.
    > Thanks for all help/suggestions provided

    Most popular wireless gear maxes out at 30mW or thereabouts. Best way
    I've found to extend range is with 200mW stuff like this:

    http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/Product_wireless01_all.asp

    Price are comparable and combo of their PCMCIA card and access point
    basically doubled my effective range.

    "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
    > rbeidas,
    >
    > I'm looking at the same option. However, in reading the info, Linksys
    > says their WRE54G will not work with any other brand router.
    >
    > Scott
    >
    > rbeidas wrote:
    >
    > > I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
    > > wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
    > > I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
    > > access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
    > > losing the signal.
    > > I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
    > > that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
    > > not.
    > > I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
    > > will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
    > > Any suggestions?? or comments....
    > > The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
    > > walls in between.
    > > Thanks for all help/suggestions provided

    Your concrete walls in between are likely to be "deal killers". Any way you
    can get both ends high enough to be above the concrete walls?

    If you do try to go through the concrete walls, strongly suggest you use a
    directional antenna on both ends. For the far end PC, you could use a
    product such as the Hawking wireless G USB adapter with +6dBi directional
    antenna. I have used this device with good results. YOu can add a 10 ft
    USB extension cable (max 15 feet) to allow placement in a window, up high.
    Of course you could use a yagi antenna or even a do-it-yourself tin cantenna
    http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/Documents/Compact%20USB%20Wireless%20Adapter%20and%20Cantenna%20for%20Long%20Distance%20Wireless%20Reception.htm

    On the AP end, it is desirable to use a directional antenna also. However
    that might eliminate your internal wireless signal. So perhaps you could
    use a high gain omni antenna, positioned in a window closest to the
    receiving PC on the far end.

    Take a look at www.fab-corp.com for antennas. I have had good service and
    products from these guys.

    --
    Bob Alston

    bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

    ---

    "rbeidas" <rbeidas@gawab.com> wrote in message
    > I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
    > wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
    > I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
    > access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
    > losing the signal.
    > I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
    > that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
    > not.
    > I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
    > will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
    > Any suggestions?? or comments....
    > The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
    > walls in between.
    > Thanks for all help/suggestions provided

    The WGE101 doesn't look like it can act as a repeater by itself. It does
    make claims of greater range, but you'd have to wire your laptop to it.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Internet Access Netgear Wireless Networking