Extend Wireless range

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 10:39:52 AM

I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
losing the signal.
I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
not.
I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
Any suggestions?? or comments....
The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
walls in between.
Thanks for all help/suggestions provided

More about : extend wireless range

August 22, 2004 4:21:57 PM

rbeidas,

I'm looking at the same option. However, in reading the info, Linksys
says their WRE54G will not work with any other brand router.

Scott

rbeidas wrote:

> I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
> wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
> I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
> access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
> losing the signal.
> I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
> that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
> not.
> I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
> will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
> Any suggestions?? or comments....
> The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
> walls in between.
> Thanks for all help/suggestions provided
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 4:35:34 PM

Most popular wireless gear maxes out at 30mW or thereabouts. Best way
I've found to extend range is with 200mW stuff like this:

http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/Product_wireles...

Price are comparable and combo of their PCMCIA card and access point
basically doubled my effective range.

rbeidas wrote:

> I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
> wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
> I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
> access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
> losing the signal.
> I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
> that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
> not.
> I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
> will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
> Any suggestions?? or comments....
> The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
> walls in between.
> Thanks for all help/suggestions provided
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 4:48:04 PM

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> rbeidas,
>
> I'm looking at the same option. However, in reading the info, Linksys
> says their WRE54G will not work with any other brand router.
>
> Scott
>
> rbeidas wrote:
>
> > I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
> > wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
> > I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
> > access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
> > losing the signal.
> > I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
> > that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
> > not.
> > I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
> > will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
> > Any suggestions?? or comments....
> > The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
> > walls in between.
> > Thanks for all help/suggestions provided

Your concrete walls in between are likely to be "deal killers". Any way you
can get both ends high enough to be above the concrete walls?

If you do try to go through the concrete walls, strongly suggest you use a
directional antenna on both ends. For the far end PC, you could use a
product such as the Hawking wireless G USB adapter with +6dBi directional
antenna. I have used this device with good results. YOu can add a 10 ft
USB extension cable (max 15 feet) to allow placement in a window, up high.
Of course you could use a yagi antenna or even a do-it-yourself tin cantenna
http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/Documents/Compact%2...

On the AP end, it is desirable to use a directional antenna also. However
that might eliminate your internal wireless signal. So perhaps you could
use a high gain omni antenna, positioned in a window closest to the
receiving PC on the far end.

Take a look at www.fab-corp.com for antennas. I have had good service and
products from these guys.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 8:14:39 PM

"rbeidas" <rbeidas@gawab.com> wrote in message
> I have a home network with internet access comprised of Netgear DG834G
> wireless ADSL modem/router with a PCMCIA wireless card.
> I am trying to extend the range of the network to enable a friend to
> access the network but find that once I go over 100 feet I start
> losing the signal.
> I went into CompUSA and was told to buy a Netgear WGE101 Bridge and
> that would solve my problem.... I am not sure of whether it will or
> not.
> I also found a product by Linksys WRE54G and am not sure whether that
> will work with the Netgear equipment I have or not.....
> Any suggestions?? or comments....
> The range I am looking at is around 150 feet with a couple of concrete
> walls in between.
> Thanks for all help/suggestions provided

The WGE101 doesn't look like it can act as a repeater by itself. It does
make claims of greater range, but you'd have to wire your laptop to it.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
!