PAX: Nvidia Takes GTX 480 Directly to Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

burpnrun

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Too little. Too late. Too expensive. Too hot. Too prone to failure like Nvidia's "bumpgate". Too bad. So sad. Goodbye Nvidia.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
burpnrun you should pray that Nvidia doesn't go away, unless of course you would like to take out a loan to buy your next video card from ATI/AMD.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I wonder ( no i dont favor nvidia or anything. I care to get what i pay for no matter my pricerange each time , why every one SO negative and against Nvidia? Is it cause they rather feel sure that the new GPUs will suck and excuse their purchases of 5*** ATI or just a huge fanbase of ATI in the website?

No need to throw things at me. lol Im literally curious why so much hate for Nvidia. If anything, you should hope that those are great cause if not the 5*** and the next models will be overpriced if ATI stays on top alone for the next 6 more months the least and thats a fact.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Simply, the answer is this - gamers don't want hype and tech buzzwords and Heaven benchmarks. They want the best performance per dollar. Nvidia wants to sell their new for $500. For less than that, you can pick up two 5850's for crossfire and have faster framerates.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
who cares if they fail or not...
how long will it take before prices go down?
prices are still as hot as fire... i want some 5000-series... ~_~

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
"You guys have been amazingly patient with us,..."
And still the most part of those guys have to wait some more month to put their hands over one of those cards.

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]ZEPd3Z[/nom]Wait...for $99 more you get lower performance???[/citation]
Apparently it does good in some tessellation tech demos.

hackztor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
read the reviews. On average anywhere from 10-20% better than ati single card. Even though it uses more power than ati dual card, most gamers (99%) do not care. If its better its better. Does not matter if you win by an inch or a mile, you still won. In this case, nvidia brought a card that does better and still ati fanbois refuse to accept that. Fermi will give you the numbers just as ati dual card will, but at over 700 for a dual card that is not an option for most. Sure 400 (ati) versus 500 (nvidia) is a hard pill for some to swallow, you pay for having the top performance whether it is 1 fps or 10fps. In some games the difference between playable and not playable at high res max settings is worth that money. The people who can afford 2500x1600 resolution will enjoy this card as it takes less of a performance hit at top res with max settings such as AA than the ati does. As for the people complaining about the power it uses and heat, get used to it. All the computer components use so much more power than they did a few years back. Wonder why 250 watt power supplies is not powerful enough. As far as I am concerned, atleast it is something and gives enough performance increase for now. If it holds gamers over till the end of the year maybe nvidia can release new ones that are improved. And as for expensive remember when the gtx260 and gtx280 came out. Way expensive and nvidia had to lower prices to compete. 500 is on the expensive side but is still reasonable considering that before release everyone was nagging at it being 680.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
ATI 5870-5970 here i come!! Been a long time supporter of Nvidia since 2002. But it is true with all the hype this card got i was very disappointed by the benchmarks. This was suppose to be the crown winner card. I'm either going to buy a ATI(which i don't want to since there software drivers suck) Or wait till Nvidia gets there act together and actually releases a card that performs, not just on paper, but in real games =D

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Te power consumption is to high to ignore.I'm sitting this one out this the end of the year when things make more sense.This beast is ridicules.

Choosing a GPU has gone from a numbers game to a religion....and both camps are equally guilty. Arguments dismissed at one release are used as gospel on the next. You'll notice for example when a new card comes out, fans will say:

"after driver updates, this new card will catch up and pass the older card".......and then months later when the other team's new card comes out the driver argument is noticeably absent from their reasoning.

when the 295 came out, it's power and temperature advantages over the 4870x2 were dismissed by many of "the faithful" and yet now the same peeps have mysteriously developed a new outlook on the matter that the advantage has switched to the other camp. personally, I don't give much thought to it other than in case / cooling / PSU selection .... then again, I don't think those running the quarter mile at the local race track give much thought to mpg's.

Both nVidia and ATI fans abuse the dual GPU / single GPU comparison ....when the 5870 came out nvidia fans were going "nah nah nah nah nah ....the 5870 doesn't beat the 295" and ATI fans responded you can't compare single and dual GPU cards .... now that the 480 tops the 5870, the mantra is "nah nah nah nah nah, the 480 doesn't beat the 5970". Not exactly the same argument tho considering the $400 / $465 price of the 5870/295 at the 5870's release and the $500/$725 price of the 480/5970.

The fact that better things generally cost more .....for some reason, components that fit in some peeps budget range are the "price / performance leader" and that anyone who spends more than they can afford for something better is an idiot.

As an AutoCAD user, the 5xxx series cards won't be a viable option for me until the 2D GFX problems are fixed (scheduled for 10.4) but I have no problem recommending cards from either camp.....and I am generally willing to pay a 30% premium for a 15% increase in performance (it's called "the law of diminishing returns") ..... right now though, the focus on the 480 has left little attention on the 470 which has the lowest $ per fps in almost every DX11 game tested at high settings.....and, despite proclamations to the contrary, reviews have also shown it has a lot of headroom for overclocking.

The new releases didn't crush ATI, Octobers releases didn't crush nVidia. Both camps have compelling products and each person has to weigh their interests, performance requirmeents and usage patterns to see what best fits their situation. Still....my recommendation stands that waiting till the summer season allows the cream to rise to the top, drivers to stabilize, Hardware Rev A and B to pass into the sunset and prices to stabilize. I'll wait till then to decide what will go in my next personal build.

Status
Not open for further replies.