Upgrading XP Home > XP Professional

I have a desktop and laptop, bothing running XP Home Edition. I want to use
offline files with synchronisation so I presume that I need to upgrade to XP
Professional. I also presume that I need to buy two copies i.e. one per PC?

I take it that the upgrade is fairly painless though I did see a suggestion
to remove Norton before running the upgrade.

--
JMB

1. Purchase two (2) conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" copies of Windows XP Professional.
2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"JMB" wrote:

| I have a desktop and laptop, bothing running XP Home Edition. I want to use
| offline files with synchronisation so I presume that I need to upgrade to XP
| Professional. I also presume that I need to buy two copies i.e. one per PC?
|
| I take it that the upgrade is fairly painless though I did see a suggestion
| to remove Norton before running the upgrade.
|
| --
| JMB

From home to pro you should install xp pro cd,exit the info page,restart
computer,
then boot to xp cd,select at info page,install xp,new copy,delete the
partition
(xp home),create one,then let xp install auto.Cary mvp is dead wrong on
upgradeing thru explorer,you should only do a clean install.

Andrew E. wrote:
> From home to pro you should install xp pro cd,exit the info
> page,restart computer,
> then boot to xp cd,select at info page,install xp,new copy,delete the
> partition
> (xp home),create one,then let xp install auto.Cary mvp is dead wrong
> on upgradeing thru explorer,you should only do a clean install.

You are the one with the questionable advice. The upgrade from Home to Pro
is almost always a slam-dunk. The XP upgrade in general is very close to a
clean install anyway as XP Pro is just a superset of XP Home. The XP upgrade
saves the relevant information deletes the Windows folder builds a new clean
Windows folder and then imports the saved information into the clean Windows
folder.
The advice I give is to prep for a Clean install then do the upgrade as your
first option.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com