Something's broken?

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
So I discovered my RAM went "bad" and replaced it. Now I am not sure if something else is wrong because my computer takes FOREVER to boot up. (I am running AMD XP 1700, 512 megs of ram, 80 gig hard drive (10 gig allocated for Linux and 70 for WinXP), and I am on the school network through Novell). Upon bootup into WinXP it would show the WinXP logo briefly but then the screen would go black for like a minute before taking me to the Novell login screen. Some applications would take a long time to boot (longer than they should...) such as Outlook and explorer. I don't know if I am being paranoid, but could something STILL be messed up? Is it software? How do I test my CPU and mobo? Could THEY be bad as well? How do I TEST them? This is frustrating me. My old computer can boot up faster...

Please help.

IronHell

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAM problems can corrupt files, it might be time to do a fresh installation.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
all of those things could be due to poor network bandwidth. ask around and see if any one else noticed a slow down. could just be a coincidence.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!