Unresponsive Start Menu

Can't access any program from my Start Menu to include Internet Express,
Outlook, Control Panel, etc. When I click on the icons, nothing
happens...start menu display remains in view after each attempt. Seems my
start menu is disengaged from all the programs that appear on the menu. I
was able to "back door" my way onto the internet by going to programs menu
and clicking on Real Player icon which took me to active news sites where
video and sound were accessed. So, programs are there but Start Menu doesn't
allow me to access them. Please help. Thanks.
--
jthomas
2 answers Last reply

    "jthomas" <jthomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<6B4F69EE-17E9-4794-9274-8F332F80BC75@microsoft.com>...
    > Can't access any program from my Start Menu to include Internet Express,
    > Outlook, Control Panel, etc. When I click on the icons, nothing
    > happens...start menu display remains in view after each attempt. Seems my
    > start menu is disengaged from all the programs that appear on the menu. I
    > was able to "back door" my way onto the internet by going to programs menu
    > and clicking on Real Player icon which took me to active news sites where
    > video and sound were accessed. So, programs are there but Start Menu doesn't
    > allow me to access them. Please help. Thanks.

    Hello,

    This is probably not a solution, but a workaround. Launch the Task
    Manager by holding Ctrl+Shift and hitting Esc. From the Processes tab,
    you can select explorer.exe and hit Alt-E to kill the process. If it
    does not restart, then Go to File -> New Task (Run) and type in
    explorer.exe and hit Enter. This will relaunch the explorer process
    which is responsible for, among other things, managing the Start Menu.

    Of course, you should check to make sure you are up to date on
    patches, including Service Pack 2, which while it has some issues, for
    the most part is a good idea.

    Hope this helps!

    _KJH
    http://gizmosforgeeks.com

    Thanks KJH...really appreciate your input and advice. The problem I
    identified exists on my Mother's computer and it will be a week or so before
    I can return to her home to try your recommended fix. Will update you at
    that time. Just wanted to respond here now to let you know I received your
    input and that I very much appreciate same. Many thanks!

    "KJH" wrote:

    > "jthomas" <jthomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<6B4F69EE-17E9-4794-9274-8F332F80BC75@microsoft.com>...
    > > Can't access any program from my Start Menu to include Internet Express,
    > > Outlook, Control Panel, etc. When I click on the icons, nothing
    > > happens...start menu display remains in view after each attempt. Seems my
    > > start menu is disengaged from all the programs that appear on the menu. I
    > > was able to "back door" my way onto the internet by going to programs menu
    > > and clicking on Real Player icon which took me to active news sites where
    > > video and sound were accessed. So, programs are there but Start Menu doesn't
    > > allow me to access them. Please help. Thanks.
    >

    > Hello,
    >
    > This is probably not a solution, but a workaround. Launch the Task
    > Manager by holding Ctrl+Shift and hitting Esc. From the Processes tab,
    > you can select explorer.exe and hit Alt-E to kill the process. If it
    > does not restart, then Go to File -> New Task (Run) and type in
    > explorer.exe and hit Enter. This will relaunch the explorer process
    > which is responsible for, among other things, managing the Start Menu.
    >
    > Of course, you should check to make sure you are up to date on
    > patches, including Service Pack 2, which while it has some issues, for
    > the most part is a good idea.
    >
    > Hope this helps!
    >
    > _KJH
    > http://gizmosforgeeks.com