Unresponsive Start Menu

November 12, 2004 12:26:16 PM

Can't access any program from my Start Menu to include Internet Express,
Outlook, Control Panel, etc. When I click on the icons, nothing
happens...start menu display remains in view after each attempt. Seems my
start menu is disengaged from all the programs that appear on the menu. I
was able to "back door" my way onto the internet by going to programs menu
and clicking on Real Player icon which took me to active news sites where
video and sound were accessed. So, programs are there but Start Menu doesn't
allow me to access them. Please help. Thanks.
--
jthomas
November 13, 2004 5:19:56 AM

"jthomas" <jthomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<6B4F69EE-17E9-4794-9274-8F332F80BC75@microsoft.com>...
> Can't access any program from my Start Menu to include Internet Express,
> Outlook, Control Panel, etc. When I click on the icons, nothing
> happens...start menu display remains in view after each attempt. Seems my
> start menu is disengaged from all the programs that appear on the menu. I
> was able to "back door" my way onto the internet by going to programs menu
> and clicking on Real Player icon which took me to active news sites where
> video and sound were accessed. So, programs are there but Start Menu doesn't
> allow me to access them. Please help. Thanks.

Hello,

This is probably not a solution, but a workaround. Launch the Task
Manager by holding Ctrl+Shift and hitting Esc. From the Processes tab,
you can select explorer.exe and hit Alt-E to kill the process. If it
does not restart, then Go to File -> New Task (Run) and type in
explorer.exe and hit Enter. This will relaunch the explorer process
which is responsible for, among other things, managing the Start Menu.

Of course, you should check to make sure you are up to date on
patches, including Service Pack 2, which while it has some issues, for
the most part is a good idea.

Hope this helps!

_KJH
http://gizmosforgeeks.com
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 9:44:01 AM

Thanks KJH...really appreciate your input and advice. The problem I
identified exists on my Mother's computer and it will be a week or so before
I can return to her home to try your recommended fix. Will update you at
that time. Just wanted to respond here now to let you know I received your
input and that I very much appreciate same. Many thanks!

!