Is assassins creed worth it? for some1 who liked Devil May Cry4?

jerb

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I liked DMC4, is assassins creed in the same ball park as a hack and slash, in comparison?

If it is as fun and has the same quality combat system as DMC4 has im all about it.

~jerb

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Its really nothing like DMC except that its 3rd person.

Its a plent good game, and the chase scenes are fun; but its not a "beat-em-up" in the traditional sense that DMC is.

jerb

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007

Nope i havnt played Price of Persia before,

I guess i just wanna know what u guys think of Assassins Creed. Is it cool?, or not.

and for those that have played DMC4 and are familiar to the combat system, is it as fun and as good as the one in DMC4?

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Assassin's Creed and DMC4 combat systems having nothing in common.
DMC4 is a beat-em-up game where the gameplay revolves around combat and mindless action, Assassin's Creed is an adventure/stealth/platforming/action hybrid.
The combat system is pretty fun and cool with a sufficient display of brutal finishing moves. One of the best features of the game is the parkour-type platforming, especially when being chased by enemies looking for a hiding place.
Unfortunately, a large part of the game starts feeling repetitive by the time you've completed half of it (probably even before that).
Prior to every assassination, you need to do some investigations and these are pretty much the same EVERY time. You can do all of the investigations to get more information and be better prepared for the upcoming assassination, but you'll find yourself only wanting to complete the required three and leaving the rest by the time you get tired of doing the same stuff again and again. The good news is that the PC version has just a tad more variety with those than the console version.
The assassinations themselves are varied and are pretty nice, though.

Overall, it's a good game, but certainly undeserving of all the hype it got.

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Trackman pretty much said it. I've played them both quite a bit - as far as the fighting system is concerned, DMC4's is about 80x more in-depth (and in my opinion, satisfying) than the one in Assassin's Creed. Also, I totally agree with the repetitiveness part. It's a heck of a good looking game on PC, and it's super fun...for the first hour and a half. Then you realize you're doing the exact same thing over and over again! The only difference the game gives you as it progresses is slight changes in scenery, coupled with the actual assassination encounters being different. Other than that, it's rinse and repeat. (Although admittedly DMC4 had a lot of that, too...just more fun to me because the boss fights rocked.)

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I like Assassin's Creed - but it is very much a cinematic experience best taken in 1.5 hour doses; its certainly not a game you could rot away a day on like the first time you play Half Life 2 or something.

beatnik

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Yep, pretty much they are two separate games. I cant really say if you will like AC or not. I pretty much agree with most of the other people on here. The core gameplay is actually quite fun, the big problem is that they got lazy with most the other areas of the game. The cities are generally the same and bland, the missions are very repetitive, and the story isnt all that intriguing. It really could have been a great game, but as it is its not worth 50-60 bucks. If you saw it for 20 though I would think about picking it up

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
The cities are the same and bland? Are we still talking about Assassin's Creed? Story isn't intrigiung? Someone flunked history in high school...

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Heh, people are entitled to their opinions

Not everyone likes historic content. ed: btw, a lot of AC "history" is fiction laid over history, don't forget :p

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Ive played both (completed AC and started playing DMC4 a few days ago) and whilst they are different i like AC more i think. This is partially because i am a graphics snob and a pretty big geek, so i prefer the graphics of AC and the incredible animation when moving about the cities! The historical aspect is also quite cool and, for me, adds a bit to its attractiveness (even though it can be and often is far from fact!).

I would recommend it to anyone!