Car Charger Question

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

My friend says the car has to be running for the car charger to
work properly. I say that's wrong, it's charging off the car's
battery and will charge just fine when the car is turned off.

She goes on to say, "Well, maybe it charges but it's not a full
charge and it won't last as long as when the car is running."

Who's right?

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 20:46:33 -0700, Henry <hank@no-spam.org> wrote:

>My friend says the car has to be running for the car charger to
>work properly. I say that's wrong, it's charging off the car's
>battery and will charge just fine when the car is turned off.
>
>She goes on to say, "Well, maybe it charges but it's not a full
>charge and it won't last as long as when the car is running."
>
>Who's right?

Both could be, unless the two of you are talking about the same car.

In some cars (like my Crown Victoria), the cigarette lighter socket
which the charger plugs in to is hot even with the ignition off and
the keys out. In my Isuzu pickup, the keys must be in and the
ignition turned to "On" or "Acc" for the socket to be hot. But in
neither case, especially the CV, would I expect a problem charging a
totally dead cell phone with the engine off, and still maintaining
enough juice to start the car.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 20:46:33 -0700, Henry <hank@no-spam.org> wrote:

>My friend says the car has to be running for the car charger to
>work properly. I say that's wrong, it's charging off the car's
>battery and will charge just fine when the car is turned off.
>
>She goes on to say, "Well, maybe it charges but it's not a full
>charge and it won't last as long as when the car is running."

As long as there's power to the car charger it won't make any
difference if the engine is running or not. I suppose that after a
time it could run down the battery, but modern digital phones (unless
it switches to analog) do not draw all that much power to begin with.
As far as "but it's not a full charge and it won't last as long"
that's just something that someone made up. There's no truth in fact
that it makes any difference.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

As long as your cigarette/power outlet is "hot" when the car is turned
off (some models the outlet is off when the ignition is off" your phone
will charge just fine with the car off. (That is provided the car
battery is not dead :)

According to Henry <hank@no-spam.org>:

> My friend says the car has to be running for the car charger to
> work properly. I say that's wrong, it's charging off the car's
> battery and will charge just fine when the car is turned off.
>
> She goes on to say, "Well, maybe it charges but it's not a full
> charge and it won't last as long as when the car is running."
>
> Who's right?

Your friend could be right. When the engine is running, the
charger will see 14V, when the engine is off 12V. (All
numbers are approx.) Perhaps the car charger has a marginal
design, and requires 14V to work properly.

------------------------
W. Randolph Franklin, http://wrfranklin.org/

MargaritoGs

Reputable
Sep 25, 2014

Well if you keep car off battery will surely get discharge..Car needs to be running if you want to use charger socket for longer duration..

vvscoersd

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Right,Car needs to be running if you want to use charger socket for longer duration.. thanks
Ge5FWz