Finding Content.IE5

I have been trying to find the Content.IE5 folder in the Owner's Temporary
Internet Files, but I've had no luck. I've tried allowing hinden and
sensitive files to show and the search menu but it hasn't worked. I need to
get into some files located in this folder to remove adware.
--
..
3 answers Last reply

    C:\Documents and Settings\'User'\Local Settings

    Download Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and scan your PC for the presence of spyware:

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "June" wrote:

    | I have been trying to find the Content.IE5 folder in the Owner's Temporary
    | Internet Files, but I've had no luck. I've tried allowing hinden and
    | sensitive files to show and the search menu but it hasn't worked. I need to
    | get into some files located in this folder to remove adware.
    | --
    | .

    You do not have to see the Content.IE5 folder to clean it out.

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files. Which I would suspect.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.
    -----

    If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

    Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
    pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
    =====

    Some Temporary Internet Files are hidden.

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    To display hidden files and folders
    http://tinyurl.com/4lxxn

    To view:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files

    Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    General tab | Settings button | View Files button

    To view:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 AND \Content.MSO

    Start | Run | Type: cleanmgr | OK | Highlight Temporary Internet Files |
    View Files button

    Or...

    Start | Run | Type: %TEMP% | OK |

    You will probably have to click the Folders button on the Tool Bar.
    Click: [+] Temporary Internet Files
    Click: [+] Content.IE5
    Click: Random named folders
    View
    You can also view Content.MSO

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:3A900E07-3CAD-47A2-ACF4-EADF8B6158FB@microsoft.com,
    June <June@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "June" <June@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been trying to find the Content.IE5 folder in the Owner's
    > Temporary Internet Files, but I've had no luck. I've tried allowing
    > hinden and sensitive files to show and the search menu but it hasn't
    > worked. I need to get into some files located in this folder to
    > remove adware.

    You can't see the Content.IE5 folder for the user you are logged in as.
    Logoff and logon as another user with administrative privileges.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Microsoft Internet Windows XP