WIN2000 to WINXP

I just installed Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000 Professioonal w/
Service Pack 4 on my other computer. Now, I can't get online on that
computer. I have Verizon DSL. I called them about it but they were no
help. Can anyone help me out with whatever issues may be involved?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about win2000 winxp

    Paul J. Perillo wrote:
    > I just installed Windows XP Professional over Windows 2000 Professioonal
    > w/ Service Pack 4 on my other computer. Now, I can't get online on that
    > computer. I have Verizon DSL. I called them about it but they were no
    > help. Can anyone help me out with whatever issues may be involved?

    Hi, Paul;

    What happens when you attempt to get online now? Do you have an internal
    or external DSL modem?

    Did your Verizon DSL service come with any software they require you to
    install? Apparently some DSL services have something like a "connection
    manager" or similar that must be loaded in the Startup group in order to
    facilitate using the service.

    I'm sure the Verizon folks asked you to check the network settings/protocols
    in your Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection, right? If
    they didn't, open that up. What clients/services/protocols do you have
    installed there?

    Do you have more than one firewall on that system? Have you checked the XP
    SP2 firewall? If you have two, you should probably turn Off the XP SP2
    one.

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    I have the Westell wirespeed external modem. I did not need any other
    software since the initial installation. Afterward, the Verizon tech told
    me I could uninstall whatever software was left. I didn't need a connection
    manager.

    As far as NIC cards go, that computer has two, one of which is connected to
    DSL through my Dlink router; the second I was using for a peer-to-peer
    between my two systems, but it's no longer conected.

    The active card shows "Client for Microsoft Networks" and TCP/IP in the
    Network Connections of Control Panel.

    As to firewalls. The XP I have is just the bare-bones off the CD OS that is
    only days old on that system. If there is a second firewall from that
    installation, I don't know. The only one I know that I have is McAfee
    Personal Firewall which came with MSN Premium.

    Mr. King, that is the sum total of the answers I can give to your questions.
    Any further help will, again, be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the
    time.

    Paul J. Perillo

    Paul J. Perillo wrote:

    > As to firewalls. The XP I have is just the bare-bones off the CD OS that
    > is only days old on that system. If there is a second firewall from that
    > installation, I don't know. The only one I know that I have is McAfee
    > Personal Firewall which came with MSN Premium.

    Since you have the McAfee firewall in place, I'd suggest you turn off the MS
    XP one.
    1.. Open Network Connections
    2.. Click the Internet connection that you use, and then under Network
    Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    3.. On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, clear the
    Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this
    computer from the Internet check box.
    Beyond that, not sure. If you haven't already, check the TCP/IP settings on
    the machine you are using and configure the XP machine exactly the same.
    Since you state this machine was once hooked up to the other in a
    peer-to-peer configuration, look for IP or other entries that point/redirect
    networking actions through the other system.

    If none of that seems to help, I suggest you post in the MS public newsgroup
    dedicated to XP networking issues (microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web).
    The folks there are much more experienced than I in resolving these types of
    issues.

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    You wrote, "Change settings of this connection. 3.. On the Advanced tab,
    under Internet Connection Firewall."

    The Advanced Tab choice displays the following message: "Windows cannot
    display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management
    Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this, use
    System Restore to restore Windows to an earlier time..."

    I don't have any System Restore feature on this WINXP Pro OS. It never came
    up at installation time. Beyond that, I will check the TCP/IP situation and
    check into that XP Networking newsgroup.

    Thanks for you help.

    Paul J. Perillo wrote:
    > You wrote, "Change settings of this connection. 3.. On the Advanced tab,
    > under Internet Connection Firewall."
    >
    > The Advanced Tab choice displays the following message: "Windows cannot
    > display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management
    > Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted. To correct this,
    > use System Restore to restore Windows to an earlier time..."

    Paul, on the Start/Run line enter "services.msc"and when that opens scroll
    down to "Windows Management Instrumentation" That should be set to
    Automatic and Started. What does your services list show? If it doesn't
    match what I posted, can you Start it?

    Exit services, at the Start/Run line type "winmgmt /regserver"

    --

    ....Sky

Computers Windows XP