In warranty till 3/12/2014

$120 + $12 s/h

Paypal or email money transfer

Heatware for feedback.

PM if you want to buy.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Thats over priced man. 80gb Velociraptors are going for $60-$80 new.

Anyways good luck, with the 500gb single platters you have some skull crushing competition.

FYI my Samsung spinpoint F3 500gb beats your 80gb western digital, costs $60 and gives 420 gbs more of space :p.

I wouldn't pay over $25 for the HDD. I actually got 2 of those 80gb velociraptors at work we got for free from a at home site tech (Worked for a company subcontracted by HP/Dell (business)/Sony) for buying some stuff from her. ($25 for 15.6 LCD screen, around 6gbs of ram, some power supplies from HP/Dell, P4 processor 3.4 ghz, and a couple other hard drives).

We don't even use them actually.. Maybe I should sell them locally.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Can you send me a screenshot of HD Tune of your F3 drive and email it to me please. CensoredForPrivacy@hotmail.com

I don't have HD tune available (Product trial=expired) but I have my Performancetest 6.1. Here are the charts.
Avg read: 115mbps
Avg writes: 104mbps

Discspeed.jpg

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
AsAnAtheist, I wont disagree with the price/performance over the raptor. The spinpoint does have better sequential read/write times, no doubt. However the 10,000 rpm drives are still faster in random access times. That will make your OS feel a bit "snappier" than even new 7200rpm drives.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

True, most 10k rpm hit the 6 ms or lower mark, however the difference between 13ms (my hard drive) and 6.1 ms on the hard drive he owns is hardly worth the cost, and even them does not make up for the low capacity.. The one place I know where low access times are required are in servers. But that's why you end up paying hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars for server hard drives (2ms access times)/sata controller cards (worth a couple hundred to a few thousands by themselves).

I do know that hard drives having lower access time adds to the "snappiness" of a hard drive, but really theres hardly a noticeable difference between 13 ms and 6 ms. There is a huge difference however in a 13 ms 7200 rpm and a 1 ms (or lower) SSD. That I have been able to pick up easily.

Like I said I own 2 of those Velociraptors and have tried them to their teeth as storage, OS, and NAS drive. New technology has caught up to them I'm afraid..

Status
Not open for further replies.