  • Internet Explorer
  • Dial Up Connection
  • Windows XP
November 13, 2004 5:31:11 PM

I don't use IE or OE for browsing or email
I use Zone Alarm Pro for firewall
I use a 3rd party antivirus software
I use DSL for Internet access

Given that 80% to 90% of the reasons for installing SP2 have to do with
IE/OE-related firewall/browser security, I'm not sure an improvement in
Direct X and more efficient downloads via dial-up modems would tip the
balance toward installing it.

I'm open about this, so if I can expect an improvement in areas *other*
than those mentioned above I would definitely install SP2 (I have the CD).

Would appreciate serious thoughts or arguments *for* installing it...

More about : sp2

Anonymous
November 13, 2004 5:31:12 PM

SP2 updates over 5 millions lines of code in Windows XP
in order to enhance its overall security and fix previous
known issues.

You may wish to view the following:

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"PRNole" wrote:

| I don't use IE or OE for browsing or email
| I use Zone Alarm Pro for firewall
| I use a 3rd party antivirus software
| I use DSL for Internet access
|
| Given that 80% to 90% of the reasons for installing SP2 have to do with
| IE/OE-related firewall/browser security, I'm not sure an improvement in
| Direct X and more efficient downloads via dial-up modems would tip the
| balance toward installing it.
|
| I'm open about this, so if I can expect an improvement in areas *other*
| than those mentioned above I would definitely install SP2 (I have the CD).
|
| Would appreciate serious thoughts or arguments *for* installing it...
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:07:55 AM

Well, looks like I may not really need SP2.

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> SP2 updates over 5 millions lines of code in Windows XP
> in order to enhance its overall security and fix previous
> known issues.
>
> You may wish to view the following:
>
> Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
>
> List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2
>
> Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx
>
> Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
>
> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

November 14, 2004 1:07:56 AM

You will. It's only a matter of time.

Ted Zieglar

"PRNole" <STICKERprosete@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Well, looks like I may not really need SP2.
>
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> SP2 updates over 5 millions lines of code in Windows XP
>> in order to enhance its overall security and fix previous
>> known issues.
>> You may wish to view the following:
>>
>> Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx
>>
>> List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2
>> Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx
>>
>> Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...
>>
>> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>>
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Checklist
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

November 14, 2004 10:33:44 PM

PRNole wrote:
> I don't use IE or OE for browsing or email
> I use Zone Alarm Pro for firewall
> I use a 3rd party antivirus software
> I use DSL for Internet access
>
> Given that 80% to 90% of the reasons for installing SP2 have to do with
> IE/OE-related firewall/browser security, I'm not sure an improvement in
> Direct X and more efficient downloads via dial-up modems would tip the
> balance toward installing it.
>
> I'm open about this, so if I can expect an improvement in areas *other*
> than those mentioned above I would definitely install SP2 (I have the CD).
>
> Would appreciate serious thoughts or arguments *for* installing it...
If you don't like Microsoft or your computer, I think you don't have to
do anything.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 3:20:39 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:32:44 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

> So, my question (and for the OP of this thread) is: should I
> go through the pain and potential loss of apps to go to SP2
> now or wait some more?

Any major update, such as a service pack, is stressful. Results can't be
guaranteed but you have "works for most systems" going in your favor.
Backup is your friend. So is uninstall (SP2 can be uninstalled), System
Restore and a good imaging program if you have one.

Personally, I've had no problems with SP2 on any of the family's systems
that I've installed it on: a home built desktop, 2 models of Tablet PCs,
two Dell desktops (shipped with XP RTM) and an older Gateway (originally
shipped with Win98SE and subsequently upgraded to XP). One system needed
some tweaking in the firewall for online gaming but otherwise all installed
programs "lived" through the update.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." -My Mother
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

SP2, like any other update by any software vendor, is imperfect. Because I'm
cautious, at home one of my computers has SP2 and the other doesn't. The
applications are pretty much the same, though the hardware is different.
Here's the apps I had problems with: Nero & Roxio. Both software vendors
had updates that fixed my problem.

At work we deal with a variety of hardware platforms and I deal with
faculty/student home PCs. Most of the SP2-related calls I get are related to
the popup blocker--in other words, learning how to enable popups when you
want them. The serious SP2 issues I've seen are related to spyware,
specifically TVMedia, which breaks SP2 unless it's eradicated first. MS has
a tool for removing TVMedia.

IMO, here are some reasons to install SP2: popup blockers (not an issue if
you use FireFox); it patches some security holes (again, may not be an issue
if you apply all the security patches, keep it up to date, use anti-virus to
keep viruses in control, trojan-removers to keep the trojans/worms that
anti-virus doesn't catch under control, and use spyware removal tools to keep
that under control). In recent weeks (in our organization) all but one of
the computers with viruses/trojans that we've had to go out to fix were
without SP2--IMO the strongest reason to install it.

As others have said, backup and preparation are key.

!