Id Hypes New Titles at QuakeCon 08

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I hope the new Wolf will have as good of multiplayer as the last iteration of the series. I'm dissappointed that Quake 5 isn't in the works, Quake still remains one of my favorite series.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
lol Quake live screenshot

i'm having quake3 arena flashbacks

actually, the more i look at that screenshot, the more it looks like quake 3 arena... with HDR lighting

That has to be crazily beta.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Dont expect it to look much different. The game plays very well in beta as it is. They have a few graphical improvements, but they are usually only noticible when side by side comparisons are made. I will look for the article I read showing the comparison, but it wasnt much. Just background additions and a few different textures, but nuthin big.

Best,

3Ball

ram1009

Distinguished
Anything would be better than Doom 3. That was like wandering around in a giant blacked out closet with a flashlight. Worse yet you had to extinguish the flashlight to shoot. A real stroke of genius.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

/flashlight mod

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
For the more enthusiast, the Id Tech 5 engine looks very promising. They said it would be used to create both Rage and the upcoming Doom title. The MegaTexture feature is quite nice and the way they will implement texture streaming is key to make games on various platforms without affecting quality (in PC versions). So, 2 thumbs up for Id Software on their new engine.

Anticipations:
- Rage looks intriguing...It looks nice but very shy; I want to know more!!!
- Doom 4: Nothing shown but that's ok, I liked the concept in Doom 3 and I can only imagine that Doom 4 will be as clever as its previous version.

Deceptions:
- Wolfenstein just looks bad and boring IMO. Is it just me?

Although I am not a big Quake Arena fan, I can see how many people could anticipate the free upcoming Quake live.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
The Wolfenstein trailer didn't seem that great, but I have a feeling if you liked RTCW or Quake IV you will be likely to enjoy the game (like I probably will). The biggest question mark about the game to me is the multiplayer though, RTCW was a whole lot of fun online, it made me stop playing Quake 2 (even though 3 had been out for quite a while), and I only stopped playing when ET came out.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

I thought it looked pretty bad compared to some games already out. But screenshots i've seen make it look better, the videos don't lol.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

In the future, there is no nightvision!

Really, I liked it - but whatev :O

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
^ I actually liked the game more without the flashlight mod. It just isn't the same being able to run around the game with the flashlight always on. It ruins the atmosphere and feeling of the game IMO.