Sign in with
Your question

Why won't my OS startup?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2003 8:07:10 PM

I have a few questions and if you could answer them that would be great.

First of all, if you scratch something on your motherboard, can it still boot up? Because there is no visible damage but I think I hit it pretty hard with the screw driver. It boots up fine but it can't seem to start my OS. Maybe it screwed some of the connectors or something?

When I turn on my computer, it starts up fine but then before it can read anything off the HDD it says "press any key to reboot."

I don't think the harddrive failed because I was able to run a system restore and install windows fine and everything. I even used a bootdisk to check the directories on the hard drive. Everything was in place. It just won't start up!

More about : startup

January 23, 2003 8:16:28 PM

Did you change any hardware on your system....like a motherboard? If you swapped motherboards (Especially chipsets)then you will have to do a complete fresh reinstall. Sometimes you can get away with it on the same chipset but you should do a reinstall from scratch.

Good Luck

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
January 23, 2003 8:18:57 PM

i used the reformat disk... so its a fresh install.. however I formatted the drives on another machine first.
Related resources
January 23, 2003 9:38:19 PM

What were your system specs before and what are they now. How many new components did you change?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2003 10:37:38 PM

I hate to have to go through this again, but:

Your hard drive LED on the case should flash when you first turn the computer on. If it turns on and stays one, your cable is backwards. If it doesn't turn on at all, your drive is either unplugged, missing, or fried, or your IDE light isn't connected to the board properly.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 23, 2003 11:01:53 PM

but i told you.. the system restore stuff got written to the disk.. i used bootdisk and looked up the directory on the C drive and everything i installed from system restore was there.
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2003 11:50:48 PM

You said you did this on another computer.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2003 2:01:01 AM

LOL, I was probably answering too many post at once and somebody else said it then, sorry!

!