Changing motherboard on OEM with XP SP2

Hi,

I am changing my dead motherboard on an OEM XP SP2 home machine and plan to
use an upgrade disk to XP pro SP1 to remedy any windows problems. Are there
any problems I appear to have not foreseen?

Rubix
6 answers Last reply
More about changing motherboard

    Your primary obstacle will be that the SP1 CD will *NOT* be of any
    use repairing a SP2 installation. You'll need to use the an OEM SP2
    CD from the manufacturer of your computer, should any repairs to the
    OS be necessary. Also, make sure that you get the replacement
    motherboard from *NO ONE* but the computer's manufacturer, or your OEM
    license, as well as your warranty, will become null and void.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    more stable than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
    problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am changing my dead motherboard on an OEM XP SP2 home machine and
    > plan to use an upgrade disk to XP pro SP1 to remedy any windows
    > problems. Are there any problems I appear to have not foreseen?
    >
    > Rubix

    "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am changing my dead motherboard on an OEM XP SP2 home machine and
    > plan to use an upgrade disk to XP pro SP1 to remedy any windows
    > problems. Are there any problems I appear to have not foreseen?
    >
    > Rubix

    Uninstall SP2 first (Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs).

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thanks I had lots of problems upgrading previously so I never fully
    installed from the upgrade disk. I thought it was going to be a problem
    changing back from SP2 to SP1. Could an SP2 installation disk repair the
    damage? I doubt it.

    Anyway I have already ordered my m-board from a retailer, not the
    manufacture...so the die is cast + I'm also changing the memory and video
    card. You probably guessed that I am not very confident about the PC
    manufacturer after a few months of really serious PC troubles.

    I'm just trying to salvage something out of junk.Perhaps I should buy an OEM
    XP disk?

    Rubix

    > Your primary obstacle will be that the SP1 CD will *NOT* be of any use
    > repairing a SP2 installation. You'll need to use the an OEM SP2 CD from
    > the manufacturer of your computer, should any repairs to the OS be
    > necessary. Also, make sure that you get the replacement motherboard from
    > *NO ONE* but the computer's manufacturer, or your OEM license, as well as
    > your warranty, will become null and void.
    >
    > Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    > and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    > before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    > (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    > one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    > need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    > the very least:
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
    >
    > The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    > licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    > point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    > OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    > picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    > style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    > before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    > accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    > installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    > is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    > more stable than the Win9x group.
    >
    > As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
    > important data before starting.
    >
    > This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    > Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    > than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    > you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
    > problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    > call.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH
    >
    > "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am changing my dead motherboard on an OEM XP SP2 home machine and plan
    >> to use an upgrade disk to XP pro SP1 to remedy any windows problems. Are
    >> there any problems I appear to have not foreseen?
    >>
    >> Rubix

    You might be able to do a successful repair installation with a
    generic (non-branded) OEM disk and Product Key. You will, however,
    eventually come up against the non-transferability of the new OEM
    license, should you ever decide to completely replace the computer.
    Of course, the incremental upgrading of individual components
    shouldn't be a problem.

    --

    > Thanks I had lots of problems upgrading previously so I never fully
    > installed from the upgrade disk. I thought it was going to be a
    > problem changing back from SP2 to SP1. Could an SP2 installation
    > disk repair the damage? I doubt it.
    >
    > Anyway I have already ordered my m-board from a retailer, not the
    > manufacture...so the die is cast + I'm also changing the memory and
    > video card. You probably guessed that I am not very confident about
    > the PC manufacturer after a few months of really serious PC
    > troubles.
    >
    > I'm just trying to salvage something out of junk.Perhaps I should
    > buy an OEM XP disk?
    >
    > Rubix

    Thanks Frank, I would love to do that but I am having doubts that Windows
    will work when the motherboard is changed. Can I replace it on an OEM
    machine and still use Windows?

    Rubix

    > Thanks Frank, I would love to do that but I am having doubts that
    > Windows will work when the motherboard is changed. Can I replace it
    > on an OEM machine and still use Windows?
    >
    > Rubix
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "Rubix" <chess@charitydays.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am changing my dead motherboard on an OEM XP SP2 home machine and
    >>> plan to use an upgrade disk to XP pro SP1 to remedy any windows
    >>> problems. Are there any problems I appear to have not foreseen?
    >>>
    >>> Rubix
    >>
    >> Uninstall SP2 first (Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    If I had a real WinXP OEM CD and not a recovery disk, I would backup
    everything I wanted to keep, then boot from the CD, format the drive and do
    a clean install. You might have to remove everything but the video card
    first.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com