Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)
From an MS website:
(About the only way you can do this is by following below and clicking the
shortcut on your desktop):
"Instantly Activate a Screensaver
Published: June 4, 2001
Submitted by Lee Liu, Toronto, Ontario
Turn on a screensaver without having to wait by adding a shortcut to your
1. Click the Start button, and then click Search.
2. In the Search Companion window, click All file types.
3. In the file name box, type *.scr
4. In the Look in box, choose Local Hard Drives (C or the drive where you have
system files stored on your computer.
5. Click Search.
6. You will see a list of screensavers in the results. Pick a screensaver you
want. You can preview it by double-clicking it.
7. Right click on the file, choose Send To, and then click Desktop (create
To activate the screensaver, double-click the icon on your desktop."
> I know that the screensaver can be configured to turn on after a preset
> period of inactivity. Is there a way to instantly turn it on, like on a Mac?
> Dennis M. Marks