>Downloading Critical Update for Office XP on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885884) (update 1 of 1)...
the message above is from the windows update site. I finally got around to
reinstalling my Vbasic 6.0 and the visual basic.net CD's. The last thing after
installation, it said to check for updates.
I don't have Office XP. Why would M$ be downloading the update above or for
that matter even telling me I need it ?

Did my Office 2000 automatically update itself to office XP ?

This update applies to WinXP SP2 with any of the following installed:
Microsoft Office XP, or Microsoft Visio 2002, or Microsoft Project 2002 -
particularly "mso.dll" file is what is replaced.

--

StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, Give me Turbos"
"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> >Downloading Critical Update for Office XP on Windows XP Service Pack 2
(KB885884) (update 1 of 1)...
> the message above is from the windows update site. I finally got around to
> reinstalling my Vbasic 6.0 and the visual basic.net CD's. The last thing
after
> installation, it said to check for updates.
> I don't have Office XP. Why would M$ be downloading the update above or
for
> that matter even telling me I need it ?
>
> Did my Office 2000 automatically update itself to office XP ?
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:05:17 -0500, "StringFellow Hawk"
<Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote:

>This update applies to WinXP SP2 with any of the following installed:
>Microsoft Office XP, or Microsoft Visio 2002, or Microsoft Project 2002 -
>particularly "mso.dll" file is what is replaced.

Well I have mso.dll, but none of the things you mentioned above, or office XP.
Just office 2k.

If it will install, it won't hurt anything. Do a system
restore point before you do it, just in case.

| On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:05:17 -0500, "StringFellow Hawk"
| <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote:
|
| >This update applies to WinXP SP2 with any of the
following installed:
| >Microsoft Office XP, or Microsoft Visio 2002, or
Microsoft Project 2002 -
| >particularly "mso.dll" file is what is replaced.
|
| Well I have mso.dll, but none of the things you mentioned
above, or office XP.
| Just office 2k.
| --
| more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:15:16 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

that's the thing, if anything it installed just fine.
the installation of media player 10 should have gone as smoothly.
I got rid of the infra red movies, but I'm still getting that 0 byte
dxva_sig.txt file on my desktop.
Still have no idea what it is or what puts it there, or how to stop it. It
serves no purpose that I can use. zero bytes is zero bytes. Doesn't even say
who is interested in this thing.

Husky wrote:

>> This update applies to WinXP SP2 with any of the following installed:
>> Microsoft Office XP, or Microsoft Visio 2002, or Microsoft Project 2002 -
>> particularly "mso.dll" file is what is replaced.
>
> Well I have mso.dll, but none of the things you mentioned above, or
> office XP. Just office 2k.

The file mso.dll may have been installed by any number of different items,
to include some 3rd party apps from what I've read. So it is practically
impossible to determine where that file came from.

Interestingly enough, even though the existence of the .:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office10\MSO.DLL appears to trigger that
update on other systems, the actual file involved never gets updated when
you install the update. ;)

I'd recommend just letting it install to avoid the annoyance and then forget
about it. As Jim said, it won't hurt anything.

--

....Sky

================

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:34:15 -0600, "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote:

Well I've already allowed the installation.. Semi-secure in the knowledge that
M$ knows more about the machines, and programs than I do. So when I visit
update and it says 'You need' XXXXX update, unless it's some sort of language
or toy I automatically say yes.
That's now changed. It tells me I need update XXXXX for XP office, I know
that's wrong because I don't own Office XP. Never have.
So this makes me ask, and just how many more things will go wrong if I trust
that update knows what's up ?

Maybe an installation that isn't for my OS or machine can be fixed with a
rollback. But that's about the only solution I can see to attempting to restore
something like this.

And so far I haven't seen any pro or con re: this update to Office XP.

Husky wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:34:15 -0600, "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> That's now changed. It tells me I need update XXXXX for XP office, I know
> that's wrong because I don't own Office XP. Never have.

You do own whatever program installed the version 10 mso.dll file.

--

....Sky