Basic question on MAC Filtering....

I have a small wireless network with WEP enabled and just for interest
thought that I'd try my hand at Bridge Filtering. The requirement is a basic
one, I have two machines connected to the Modem/Router/WAP and I want to
have open access between the two machines via the WAP and to access to the
the net from both of them but want to further limit access to unknown MAC's.

It seems pretty simple, the documentation for this is basic to say the
least. However, whatever combinations I try trying to restrict access,
either it doesn't seem to restrict access by the other machine at all or I
lock out every machine (and have to reset the Router!).

The Bridge Filtering configurator has lines that can be filled in with:

Source MAC / Destination MAC / TYPE > [Block/Forward]

I can see how to Block & Forward 'known' MAC's but how do I block 'unknown'
MAC's?
Secondly how do I know my ethernet type?

These are probably easy questions, but I can't seem to get this working.
Could anybody give me a idea of what to do for this kind of input screen, or
point me in the direction of a page somewhere?

Thanks,

Alex

AG <alexnewsgroup@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> I have a small wireless network with WEP enabled and just for interest
> thought that I'd try my hand at Bridge Filtering. The requirement is a basic
> one, I have two machines connected to the Modem/Router/WAP and I want to
> have open access between the two machines via the WAP and to access to the
> the net from both of them but want to further limit access to unknown MAC's.

Apart from the questions that I don't know how to answer for your router.

MAC filtering is at best a tiny extra hurdle to add.
It's trivial to clone the MACs of one of the operating machines, and
wait till it turns off.

> > I have a small wireless network with WEP enabled and just for interest
> > thought that I'd try my hand at Bridge Filtering. The requirement is a
basic
> > one, I have two machines connected to the Modem/Router/WAP and I want to
> > have open access between the two machines via the WAP and to access to
the
> > the net from both of them but want to further limit access to unknown
MAC's.

> Apart from the questions that I don't know how to answer for your router.
>
> MAC filtering is at best a tiny extra hurdle to add.
> It's trivial to clone the MACs of one of the operating machines, and
> wait till it turns off.

Thanks for the reply Ian. Yes I realise that in practice anybody who can
crack WEP would have worked out how to sniff for and spoof MAC's long
before. This was really for interest rather than increased security, but I
would like to know how to configure this Source MAC / Destination MAC /
TYPE > [Block/Forward] table - it seems quite a common chipset - anybody?

Alex